Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Object Collision
Old
Matchewawa

Thumbs up Object Collision - 02-17-2011, 11:06 PM

I'd like to set collision on objects so that I can't go through them, also onto the old west terrain so that I stay on top of it as I walk over it, but I don't know how. Any tips?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM

That one's harder to do. Much much harder. Dameria's the only guy to ever get tangible, large-scale results, and that was from several hours of work. Basically its boiled down to putting a bunch of squares on every surface you don't want the character to run into, then have a constant string of if/else if statements which check to see if the character is in front of those square and pushes him back if he is. The terrain thing can't be helped, as far as I know.

If you want more info on his method, search his posts or just ask him.

Old
reuben2011

Default 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM

i see. To test collision, you need to take into account the distance between the objects' centers and the width of the objects. For example if you want to make a variable called isColliding become true when the objects collide, I would do something like this:

if (((distance between object A and B) - (objectA.width / 2) - (objectB.width / 2)) <= 0)
{
isColliding = true
}

I actually haven't used alice for awhile, so the syntax and the function names of the above might be slightly different. If you still need help, like if you need me to translate the above into step-by-step instructions for Alice, I'll help you if need be. Hope this helps!

Old
reuben2011

Default 02-17-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
That one's harder to do. Much much harder. Dameria's the only guy to ever get tangible, large-scale results, and that was from several hours of work. Basically its boiled down to putting a bunch of squares on every surface you don't want the character to run into, then have a constant string of if/else if statements which check to see if the character is in front of those square and pushes him back if he is. The terrain thing can't be helped, as far as I know.

If you want more info on his method, search his posts or just ask him.
x2495iii, I don't know if you saw my other game before, but I basically put all the collide-able items into an array (or list, I forget) and ran each item through a method of some sort to see if the "character" was colliding with any of the items in the array.

Tags
object collision terrain