Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Advice for teaching Alice in High School
Old
radiolake

Default Advice for teaching Alice in High School - 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM

I'm about to begin a unit in "Alice" in my High School digital imagery class. My goals are to teach a little about 3D imagery. I'm more focused on creation of creative and artistic "worlds," than I am on programming.

Any advice for a first time teacher of Alice?

Old
g-whizz

Default 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM

tell them that this program will frustrate them, beyond their wildest dreams. i like it, but it crashes alot, sometimes won't save, can't handle a file over 15mb, exit for no reason. be prepared for a backlash.
________
DIGITAL BOX VAPORIZER

Last edited by g-whizz; 05-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.

advice for teaching
Old
radiolake

Default advice for teaching - 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM

Thanks G.

And yep, all of the above have already happened. I guess I'm used to programs crashing and having problems and issues and can approach those issues with only a little frustration.

My high school students don't have much patience. The slightest issue and a few are ready to quit.

I've worked with them and enough of them are into it that I think we'll be ok.

Hoping that 3.0 solves some of the issues. But only hoping.

Thanks!

Old
HisWorld

Default 04-27-2009, 07:30 AM

I think there is something called Storytelling Alice, this maybe better for what you have in mind. here is the link

youtube
Old
monstar1000

Default youtube - 05-10-2009, 05:26 AM

I downloaded a series of clips on youtube made with alice by other high school students (youtube is blocked in my school). I showed these to the kids and it really inspired them. There's some great work out there - have a look!

Old
Ayyamana

Default 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM

What I found helpful was that I had competitions with my friends. I was a self taught in Comp Sci, being the best in my class. I kept challenging my friends to make better animations (I usually won) and we would get better like that.

Make the students actually wat to do the work. Give them a kind of reward for a very good job. Offer extra credit, priveledges, prizes even.

Just make it fun. I am a B average student, having A's in the math and science classes, and C's in the language and social studies classes. The only reason is that I have a 100 average in Comp Sci is because it is fun. The first few days I was on Alice, I felt as though I was playing a game.

Also, make sure that the students have flashdrives. If they save it to a network drive, the programs will crash faster. My school has 2.0, on my flash I have 2.2. A lot better, a lot faster, and the computer works better that way.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayyamana View Post
Just make it fun. I am a B average student, having A's in the math and science classes, and C's in the language and social studies classes. The only reason is that I have a 100 average in Comp Sci is because it is fun. The first few days I was on Alice, I felt as though I was playing a game.

Also, make sure that the students have flashdrives. If they save it to a network drive, the programs will crash faster. My school has 2.0, on my flash I have 2.2. A lot better, a lot faster, and the computer works better that way.
Amen to that on both counts. I've taken two classes so far with Alice, and I've aced both of them because they didn't seem like work.

(')>

No Programming? Why Alice?
Old
DesignTypeGeek

Default No Programming? Why Alice? - 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM

I'm definitely new to Alice and I realize this is the place to be for all things Alice, but if you are focusing on 3D content creation and not programming, then something like DAZ|Studio or Blender would be a better chance.

And they crash less

Old
jediaction

Default 03-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Well, you should just start basic. Show them some of the games we make. Show them a nice Alice origional like Resident penguin then show mabye one of my games like Hero's. just a suggestion

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Hope Mitchell
Banned

Default 06-18-2020, 12:44 AM

Personally, I first met Alice when I was shown a video about her creating games