Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How to fix issue with "set vehicle to"
Old
Matchewawa

Default How to fix issue with "set vehicle to" - 03-19-2011, 09:56 PM

I'm making a little RPG world largely inspired by The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, and I am making it so that when you press 'I', the inventory pops up. When you press it again, you go back into gameplay. Basically, (in the 'press I' method) I set up an if/else, where if you're far enough from the inventory billboard, then your camera moves to it (which is off the main area). The reason I'm making the camera move to the billboard (over it looking down on it) and not making the billboard move in front of the camera is because the mouse will move icons in the inventory. Since that event only moves them along a horizontal plane, I have to look down on it. Anyway, when the camera moves to the inventory, I set the arm's (which were in front of the camera) vehicles to themselves so that they don't follow me to the inventory. I do the same with a homemade dummy (an invisible cube) that was following me around so that the camera can move back to where I was. When I press 'I' again to move back, it resets the vehicles so that the arms and dummy are following the camera again. When I put this together in the if/else, the game crashes, and I know that the issue is the 'set vehicles to'. This first picture uses the 'CameraSetup' method to put the camera in it's starting position and set the vehicles so that the arm and the makeshift dummy follow me. The second uses the 'InventoryButton' method to move the camera to the inventory billboard and back as I described. I want to know why this doesn't work. Many thanks for your time.Alice'Vehicles'Issue_1.jpg

Alice'Vehicles'Issue_2.jpg

text cutoff
Old
Matchewawa

Default text cutoff - 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM

That text cutoff obviously shouldn't be there. Let me fill it in for you:
...press it again
...moves to the billboard
...front of the camera is
...camera moves to
...a homemade dummy
...the vehicles so that the
...to'. The first picture
...The second uses the 'InventoryButton'
...for your time.
It might be easier to copy the post into word, though, because it all shows up when you try that.

Old
Matchewawa

Default 03-19-2011, 10:38 PM

I had an idea right as I posted this thread and I fixed the issue. Then I met another issue and was about to post another question when I thought of a way around that lol. I think writing about the issue helps me go over the issue and find the answer!

Old
sfunk

Default 03-19-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchewawa View Post
I had an idea right as I posted this thread and I fixed the issue. Then I met another issue and was about to post another question when I thought of a way around that lol. I think writing about the issue helps me go over the issue and find the answer!
well glad to know you figured out your problem. sounds like it will be a sweet game.

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn