Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Alice defaultRenderer
Old
zerodiv

Default Alice defaultRenderer - 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Can someone please list the renderers for windows and linux that can be used on the command line.

Alice.exe --defaultRenderer ????

The --help message is almost usefull, except it doesn't list the available renderers.

Code:
options:
    --stdOutToConsole|-o:
        directs System.stdOut to the console instead of the output text area.
    --stdErrToConsole|-e:
        directs System.stdOut to the console instead of the output text area.
    --defaultRenderer|-r <classname>:
        the Renderer specified by <classname> will be used as the default Renderer
    --help|-h:
        prints this help message
<rant>
Alice seems like a great tool to teach people the basics of programing. It's free, and I'm sure a lot of people have put a lot of time into developing it, and for that I am grateful.

That being said, its driving me crazy. It wont run without crashing under linux, the software renderer doesn't work, it has no list of dependencies. I've tried sun-jre 1.4.2, 1.5.0, 1.6.0, nvidia and mesa opengl drivers, wine etc. I wouldn't care at all but it is a requirement for a class I'm taking, and I'm not shelling out for a windows license to complete a course that isn't teaching me a **** thing in the first place!
</rant>

Old
DrJim

Default 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM

As a quick fix, you might try "slow and steady Alice" which does software rendering.

The other options listed under Edit>preferences are DirectX-7 and Java 3D. I believe there is a link to Java 3D on the Alice main page.

Old
zerodiv

Default 01-29-2009, 11:22 PM

I greped through some of the code and it seems that this is the list of renderers.
Code:
"DirectX 7"
"OpenGL"
"Java3D"
"JOGL"
"None"