Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How to protect my textbook?
Old
ALICCOM

Default How to protect my textbook? - 09-15-2011, 05:28 AM

Hey,

Well I just got my textbook a few days ago, but I'll be carrying it around, I want to protect it from too much damage. Does anyone know a service that makes paperback books into hardcovers? Or makes hardcovers for paperbacks?

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 09-17-2011, 01:35 AM

To prevent this thread from being unanswered (It will be.) I'll just say this: It's likely no such thing exists—see, to do this would require the service to de-bind the book, a somewhat risky task that involves melting the glue using various tools such as a hairdryer, an oven, or a microwave.
Then, they would have to scan the cover, blow it up, and print it onto a piece of plastic that would wrap around a thick piece of cardboard. So far, all hardcovers also seem to undergo lamination as well.
After that, they must re-glue the pages together and pray the pages didn't get mixed up or burnt in step 1. I have no idea where the glue comes from.
If you want to do it yourself, your best bet is to glue the paperback cover onto cardboard and hope it fits.
To be honest, this method is a lot of hard work and mass production would actually be easier—ask a manga scanlation group, they know what I'm talking about.

If you want to do it the normal way, you'd add a strong plastic layer on top of the paper like everybody else

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM

It's actually quite possible to rebind a book and several places have services where you mail or drop off the book and it it returned to you rebound. I have a few friends who use those services for important or oft-used books.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM

I know it's very possible, but that's only rebinding books. From just that, we can't assume they'll reform a paperback cover into a hardback. It's also known by manga scanners that debinding and rebinding is a lot more work than it's usually worth. They usually just throw out the debound magazine or tie it together in some cheap manner.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-17-2011, 11:28 PM

If the book is de-bound, making a simple hardcover or even a sturdier softcover (like leather) is relatively easy, if you have the right equipment. Most manga scanners are one or two man operations, so they probably wouldn't have said equipment.