Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I make an object move around a circular thing...
Old
general

Default How do I make an object move around a circular thing... - 05-16-2006, 06:52 AM

with the circumference as the guide? My lecturer gave me this question and I'm suppose to make the bee move around the pond. I know I can easily use the asSeenBy way but she wants us to use the circumference of the pond as a guide. Here's the question

Quote:
Bee Scout
It has been a hot, dry summer and a hive of bees is in desperate need of a new supply of pollen. One bee has ventured far from the hive to scout for new pollen sources. A natural place to look for is near ponds in the area. Download the Bee Scout.a2w with the initial scene from OLE.

Write a function that computes and returns the circumference of the circle (formula: circumference = 3.14 * diameter of the circle).

Write a method to move the bee scout around the perimeter of the pond in which the circumference of the circle is used to guide the motion.

Write a program to animate the bee scouting the edge of a pond for flowers that are in bloom. The bee is to fly around the perimeter of the pond (circle
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Bee Scout.a2w (2.32 MB, 689 views)

Last edited by general; 05-16-2006 at 06:58 AM.

How do I make an object move around a circular thing...
Old
lanceA

Default How do I make an object move around a circular thing... - 05-16-2006, 08:27 AM

That's an exercise from Chpt 6 of the textbook and I'm not sure if the purpose of this forum is to do student's homework for them? Computer Science is more about solving problems than it is about banging on a keyboard. I'm sure the lecturer is more concerned with how you solved the problem; the actual animation is a byproduct of your success. My students scour the net for quick answers to their CS assignments also

In order to complete your assignment you need to first ensure you understand the problem and then devise a plan (algorithm) to solve the problem using the 'tools' you have available, i.e.the Alice "language", to solve it.

I think the problem states something about writing a function? I believe a function is supposed to return a value and perhaps your Main method might use the returned value from the function to solve the problem. Good luck with your school assignment - my students had to do the same one last month.

Last edited by lanceA; 05-16-2006 at 02:47 PM.

curious
Old
Jabberwocky

Default curious - 05-18-2006, 01:34 PM

I don't have the manual, and was wondering if the attached world file here was provided with the book or if it was something the instructor had mocked up?

I'd like to see more of these...

Old
lanceA

Default 05-18-2006, 02:51 PM

You definitely want the manual. Not only does it come with a CD containing the "setup" for most of the worlds discussed, Bee Scout is one of them, but there is a lot of information relative to "Learning to Program" with Alice (my parenthesis).

Granted the textbook is somewhat lacking in definitive programmatic information (the authors admit this is true due to a lack of staffing) such as what methods are available to all objects and what are their parameters and how do all objects react to changes in their behaviours, etc. I am in the midst of attempting to document all of the built-in method calls, parameters, etc. simply because I need to understand them my self.

Just for info there is a second book available for Alice by C. Herbert and a third book is scheduled for publication in September. (An abbreviated version of the Alice book will be coming out around June, CHEAPER - thanks to Barbara Conover for publishing that bit of information in the newsletter).

Good luck.

Last edited by lanceA; 05-18-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Newsletter
Old
Jabberwocky

Default Newsletter - 05-18-2006, 06:18 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have to pick up the manual.

You meantioned a newsletter... mmm, I want one!