Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Importing objects into Alice
Old
xEnDoNx

Exclamation Importing objects into Alice - 02-01-2006, 09:05 PM

What is the format that the objects in alice are saved in????
And can i take lets say 3d models from Half-Life and then save them to be used with alice??

is there a certain way you need to export it or is it just a different extension name?

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Alice can import objects in ASE format. Take a look at this thread for more information. Also, if you can get your model into 3DS Max, this guide might help.

Thumbnail
Old
Sly_Squash

Default Thumbnail - 07-10-2006, 08:30 AM

Once I import a model (.ase) and save it to a folder off of the /gallery folder, I notice that when I try to load that model into the world there is no thumbnail for it (rather, just a picture of a question mark).

Anybody know how to specify the thumbnail for custom imported models?

Thumbnails
Old
Jabberwocky

Default Thumbnails - 07-10-2006, 10:46 AM

To create an object thumbnail, capture a screenshot of your model and save it as a .PNG file called thumbnail.png. Open up the object's .A2C class file (it's a zip file, so use something like Winzip) and add the thumbnail.png file to it.

If you create a directory, let's say your making a bunch of objects and want to store them together... create an image called directoryThumbnail.png and place it in the directory. This creates the folder icon you see when you are browsing the Gallery.