Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Tower Defense Game - any ideas?
Old
Infinitum3D

Default Tower Defense Game - any ideas? - 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM

My 8 year old son wants me to help him make a Tower Defense Game, like bloonz by Ninja Kiwi.

Does anyone know of any examples here, or where to start? We just downloaded the program and ran through the tutorials, but the world editor is really difficult to use.

I think a basic "top down" view would be best, but I don't know how to do that.

Would anyone be interested in joining us for this project?
Infinitum3D@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Old
Scott300

Default 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM

The only trouble you would have with this is the fact that alice cannot spawn new objects into the world after the world has been started. So you would need to have every object all ready in the world to start with. I mean I could see it being possible but extremely time consuming and the file would be absolutely huge. If you still feel up to this post in the How do I... section ( http://alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16 ) with your specific problems and people usually respond with a solution or help within a few days.
  Send a message via AIM to Scott300 Send a message via MSN to Scott300  
Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 05-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Indeed, the spawning issue would be difficult to deal with. There is only one thing I can think of to deal with it.

Create only a few of each type of enemy you'd like. Keep in mind that the worst case scenario is every enemy on the screen at the same time, which could be too much for Alice to handle. I'd recommend 3 copies of 3 different enemies (3 footsoldiers, 3 tanks, 3 planes for example) and write a simple animation method for one of each copy, then just have the other two copies reference the method of the first one (should work, since the objects share the same parts and dimensions). If you'd like to have them look different, import simple objects into your world and make them transparent, then experiment with applying their textures to the different copies (example, apply a rock or wall texture to a soldier to get a golem-like enemy).

I've actually used this method in the turn-based game I've been working on, so the idea is sound.

(')>

Old
dubastot

Default 06-23-2009, 10:20 PM

I suggest you make a limit to the number of towers you make. And have a startup screen telling the player that you can build a certain number of towers.

Personally, I think doing a tower defense game is crazy, but one with a strong will can do it. So I'm not discouraging you or anything, but I;m warning you that it will be difficult.

Old
NivekNamttid

Lightbulb 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM

For the top down view, rotate the camera 90 degrees forward, and then move it backwards (up). You could add a menu on the side for tower options, but creating an 'account' with how much money you have in it might be rather difficult. I suggest that you have a set number of towers that you can put in at the beginning of the game, and have them choose from a selection of towers and place them before the enemies come. That might limit improvement to your defense later in the game, but it would work. As for movement of towers, go to the events tab, choose Let the mouse move <objects>, Choose Object and type a name, and list the objects that you want to be able to move.

Last edited by NivekNamttid; 09-21-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fixed mistake

Old
NivekNamttid

Lightbulb 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Now that you got me on that idea, I think I'll try it. I'll send you what I come up with, and give advice.

Old
atrane365

Cool 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubastot View Post
I suggest you make a limit to the number of towers you make.
check out this person's game: http://www.alice.org/community/showt...=tower+defense

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Uh, the last post in this topic was in 2009.

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.