Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Any tips for more fluid movement?
Old
CBledsoe

Default Any tips for more fluid movement? - 09-22-2019, 12:09 PM

This is in regards to walking animations, speaking, things like that. I'd love some tips! My objects still seem pretty janky.

Old
Reilly255

Default 07-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBledsoe View Post
This is in regards to walking animations, speaking, things like that. I'd love some tips! My objects still seem pretty janky.
Challenge Yourself. Try incorporating motor control challenges into your routine, to break yourself away from the way you've been doing things. ... mysubwaycard
Practice Locomotive Exercises. ...
Move in Whatever Ranges of Motion You Have.

Last edited by Reilly255; 07-03-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Fluid motion
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default Fluid motion - 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM

There are optional parameters associated with all Alice methods and parameters that might be helpful... Alice assumes a normal acceleration, cruise, and deceleration cycle for each move or turn the object executes. (Think about it, when you start to walk across the room, you are not immediately at full speed when you start, and you normally do not perform a dead stop, but slow down as you approach the end of your walk.) This may be what is causing your "jankie-ness"

In Alice 2, if you click on "more" in the tile for the Alice instruction, you will see some options, one of which is "style". The option you will want to try first is "abruptly". The object will start and stop at full speed. The other options allow you give you different variations to play with.

In Alice 3, if you click on "add detail" in the tile for the Alice instruction, you will see some options, one of which is "animationStyle". The option you will want to try first is "beginAndEndAbruptly". The object will start and stop at full speed. The other options allow you give you different variations to play with.

Also if your actions are in do-together's, you want to be sure that your duration timings are synchronized correctly, or one action may have to wait for other actions to complete their cycles before they start again.

Good luck!

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University