Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Unable to load world Error
Old
kcc

Default Unable to load world Error - 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Hi,
A several students have been working on Alice projects and when they tried to open their projects today, they received an "Unable to load world" error message. I've looked through the forums and haven't found any resolution.

It's worth mentioning that the classroom teacher indicated that the students who were having trouble were going back-and-forth between Alice and Alice Storytelling. He thinks they may have tried to combine some elements (backgrounds, characters, etc.), however, the students say the combined elements are not in the project.

Please advise.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 05-28-2010, 02:52 PM

I would say that it may not be a problem with the element exchanging between Storytelling-Alice and regular Alice, but a problem with how the two programs save the worlds. I would recommend the students use the "Export code for printing" button which will save the code as a html file to which they can refer back to when they need it.

Other Possibilities
Old
MrMoke

Default Other Possibilities - 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Some of my students also run into that same error. Often they wait until the last second before saving their work, and then try to log off before the save is complete (not recommended). Extremely LARGE Worlds with many objects used just for scenery can also be unstable.
Depending on how you have your lab set up, you might remind them that the backup folder contains several incremental copies of the working world project.

Tags
bug, error, load, unable