Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

View Poll Results: What do you think of Halo 2?
Way better than the the first game! Excellent! 15 39.47%
Highly recommended! Great game! 7 18.42%
Great game overall 6 15.79%
Well done, but some things could be improved 5 13.16%
It had its moments, but nothing jaw dropping 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
waqar

Default 11-04-2011, 11:29 PM

These are the graphics i have made for my game, I mean this is the scene that i have made for my virtua not the code obviously the original is the one i sended to u give me some suggestions regarding it too and calling of methods too plz
Attached Files
File Type: a2w final project backup.a2w (19.33 MB, 9 views)

Old
jediaction

Default 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Alright. I have time now...Here are my suggestions. Alright, I like it. You should download a bullet model from the community and replace the lighthouses. The camera changes the scene a little to slowly. You can press the guys when they already dead, so make them "showing = false."

Their guns should dissapear. I like the opening...just my asking, this that picture from the famous game "Virtual Cop" for the dream cast? I liked that game. Also, a sound for when reloading would be nice. The enemies could have a targeting system like in the game "Virtual Cop" where a ring start green and is large, but then turn orange, then red as it shrinks, and when it hits a certain size, the enemies fire. If thats to complicated, then do everything else besides that.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
waqar

Default 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Any example of that crosshair i dont know how to make it xD and its not complete i jst shown the graphics and code i still have like a month i have to submit it at on dec 20 so more than a month i will add some sounds and two things how can i make the enemy fire at me and how to make my game run a lil fast like normal games do its hella too slow

Old
waqar

Smile 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM

and ya pic is frm virtua cop xD i rebuild it in mspaint with my partner's name and our Student ids and put the logo of alice at the same place whr the original pic was have the logo of SAGA xD

Old
Nighthawk0973

Default 11-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Very dissapointing review. You have to realize that this is an alice game. Why is everyone saying it's a bad frame rate, bad story game. IT'S AN ALICE GAME! It is impossible. You gotta review realistically. I know about the texts, I dind't think anyone would actually care . You gotta know how to use a mouse to play this game. The game is overloading, it might crash soon. Are you serious about the sword sound? Do you even play halo? That is the exact sound. I actually got it from a HALO REACH youtube video with a sword in it...you gotta work on your facts. Everyone has to stop complaining about the frame rate. There is no way it's gonna run good on a bad computer. This is an unjust review, and some points you made are very silly. Once agian, it's not supposed to be replayable, it's an FPS that can barely run in Alice. I don't like your reviews because you review unjustly and you forget that this is Alice.
I don't review 'unjustly'. First of all, part of games in replayablility. Second of all, you say I have to know how to use the mouse. I can play first person games on Alice. But currently Alice doesn't support a FPS camera. You say it's impossible, and heck, maybe it is. But if I can't even play it, it's not a fun game. You need to try and find a way to create alice games that are possible withthin the alice system, if you push the engine so that it doesn't work well, then there isn't going to be a good product for the result.

You act like the review was harsh, but I am saying this again: I literally could not get this game to run smoothly enough to make any progression, the enemies were not getting hurt because the framerate was horrible and I couldn't get clear sights on the enemies, which, for the record, their AI hasn't really improved all that much. They just dance left and right. You want an example of a good game? Well then check out Sky Warrior. That game was good, it didn't push Alice.

The only way I would actually rewrite this entire review, is if I played a version of the game, and a majority of the problems we're actually fixed, and the game was actually playable, even if I had to go load an entirely new world for part two of the game. That would go against the review a little, but it would definitely bump up the score more if the game was smoother. (plus two world files would make load speeds faster...)

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk0973 View Post
I don't review 'unjustly'. First of all, part of games in replayablility. Second of all, you say I have to know how to use the mouse. I can play first person games on Alice. But currently Alice doesn't

ntirely new world for part two of the game. That would go against the review a little, but it would definitely bump up the score more if the game was smoother. (plus two world files would make load speeds faster...)
Would your review improve if I bumped down the quality of most of the textures, which is what I'm doing. This should decrease strain on the renderer, decrease overall lag and improve playability - but it will make everything look lower res. I've also fixed the menu and I plan on fixing the sounds and mouse aiming. I also plan on somehow fixing the flawed save system that it has.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
Nighthawk0973

Default 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Lowering the resolution of textures will decrease the score. But all the other stuff you're talking about makes a better score.

So... if the game is better, I will re-review the game. I am actually anticipating the games patch. You know, if the game fixes everything that was making it unplayable and resulting in a playable FPS experience on Alice, it would create a path for other, and probably better (not saying it's because the game would suck, but because the other games would improve on the concept) Alice FPS games. Doing this would definitely increase the score. (since I would love to use that engine!)

Again, I review considering the fact that it's a game for Alice. But also considering that a game is a game. So basically, if it pushes the Alice software, or has graphics that are really good for the Alice program, than it gets a high score.

Old
jediaction

Default 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Sky warrior was not an FPS. I'm working on other games, and you can review those when I'm done. This is an FPS and is very hard, so you did review unjustly. I will just wait for the patch, plus..I'm using alice a lot less and am already doing other more complicated programs. I'm mainly doing Unity 3d and on my website, you get updates of my games. My newest will be revealed and it will be avaible for everyone. I will make a few more games probably, but I'm gonna work on one good one that will not be an FPS because of all the pickiness in the reviews and comments every since Halo - The Generator. And really.....Lower textuers would decrease the score....lol..It's an ALICE GAME. The textures stink anyway.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Last edited by jediaction; 11-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Old
debussybunny563

Default 11-10-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Sky warrior was not an FPS. I'm working on other games, and you can review those when I'm done. This is an FPS and is very hard, so you did review unjustly. I will just wait for the patch, plus..I'm using alice a lot less and am already doing other more complicated programs. I'm mainly doing Unity 3d and on my website, you get updates of my games. My newest will be revealed and it will be avaible for everyone. I will make a few more games probably, but I'm gonna work on one good one that will not be an FPS because of all the pickiness in the reviews and comments every since Halo - The Generator. And really.....Lower textuers would decrease the score....lol..It's an ALICE GAME. The textures stink anyway.
The textures stink? orly?

I'd say you can get some pretty impressive results with textures in Alice if you get them right.

That aside, Alice is limited in capabilities but Nighthawk is entitled to his criticisms.
A programmer should not blame the shortcomings of his game on the program, but rather adapt to the program and find ways to use it effectively.

Coming back to one of the more popular examples, look at what x2495iiii did with Resident Penguin. Simple, addicting, and it has replay value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk0973 View Post
Again, I review considering the fact that it's a game for Alice. But also considering that a game is a game. So basically, if it pushes the Alice software, or has graphics that are really good for the Alice program, than it gets a high score.
Nighthawk was right in that "a game is a game," regardless of the program used to create it. When Infinity Ward or EA releases a game, they make sure it can run on decent computers. If their customers aren't able to run their games, then they wouldn't be making as much money.

If nobody can play your game without lagging badly, how can anyone give it a positive review? They can only see as far as they are shown; if they aren't shown anything then how can they see?

Just something to consider. (<-- sentence fragment )

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-10-2011, 08:56 PM

Pros call this optimization. It's when you assume your customers have a bad PC.

Try making a lite mode. Something with less enemies at a time, maybe, or less environmental items. Definitely skip the cutscene.

Go back over your code to see what you can combine, what you can streamline, and what you can remove completely.

It's the hallmark of a good developer when the program can be optimized to work with all kinds of computers. The makers of Duke Nukem Forever failed to do it and received complaints for it. I personally am doing it right now in an effort to make a good first impression on the app market. It takes work, but it's worth it.