Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Arrows and Glowing
Old
zak170

Default Arrows and Glowing - 05-15-2012, 07:00 PM

I am making a medieval rpg, but need help with four things:

1) Is it possible to create a glowing effect on an object? For example a box that emmits a light (lets say red). There are two things i want to use this for: magic, and the selection arrows for the character selection screen.

2) How can I make a realistic arch for an arrow? For example when you fire an arrow (just so theres no confusion i mean from a bow) can I give it realistic physics to hit its target?

3) Is there a way to save stats, like even after you quit? For example, you make a character and the game saves your level, items, money, etc.

4) Finally how can I make an infinite amount of an object to fire? For example with a gun, being able to shoot bullets. I know you can create this illusion by making the objects shoot out, turn invisible, then come back. But can I do it with the projectile staying where it landed (until a certain amount of them are in the world). Maybe using an array, but i dont know.

Thanks in advance!

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 05-15-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak170 View Post
I am making a medieval rpg, but need help with four things:

1) Is it possible to create a glowing effect on an object? For example a box that emmits a light (lets say red). There are two things i want to use this for: magic, and the selection arrows for the character selection screen.
There are objects that produce light, but none that produce it centered on a specific area. It'd probably be better to use a semi transparent circle to simulate a glow

Quote:
2) How can I make a realistic arch for an arrow? For example when you fire an arrow (just so theres no confusion i mean from a bow) can I give it realistic physics to hit its target?
Have you reached Algebra yet? You're going to need to use a parabola equation. Y = ax^2 + bx + c. a, b, and c are dependent on the arc of the parabola - mess around until you get it, I've never tried it before. Unfortunately, Alice has no collision, so it is very hard to make a realistic arrow hit.

Quote:
3) Is there a way to save stats, like even after you quit? For example, you make a character and the game saves your level, items, money, etc.
Yep, though not within Alice. You'll need Arty's Save Tool, pinned in the share objects section. Save the values of the variables to files, and recall them upon opening the game.

Quote:
4) Finally how can I make an infinite amount of an object to fire? For example with a gun, being able to shoot bullets. I know you can create this illusion by making the objects shoot out, turn invisible, then come back. But can I do it with the projectile staying where it landed (until a certain amount of them are in the world). Maybe using an array, but i dont know.
Unfortunately, again, Alice has no inborn tool for duplicating objects. Arty, again, has a very nice duplication method you can use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ

Old
zak170

Default 05-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the help!

I'll definately check out arty's save state thing, and duplication method.

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 05-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help!

I'll definately check out arty's save state thing, and duplication method.
No problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Calvin and Hobbes

Old
zak170

Default 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM

I actually have another question:

Is it possible to make a system where the player will click somewhere on the ground, and the character will move to that spot?

I know one way would be to make a little square, or cube, or something and make it invisible. When the player clicked on it they would move to it.

But can I do it without making an insane amount of "markers"?

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I actually have another question:

Is it possible to make a system where the player will click somewhere on the ground, and the character will move to that spot?

I know one way would be to make a little square, or cube, or something and make it invisible. When the player clicked on it they would move to it.

But can I do it without making an insane amount of "markers"?
Unfortunately, while there may be a way, I cannot think of a way to do that. Sorry...

-Calvin and Hobbes

Old
zak170

Default 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM

No problem, I was just looking for a quicker way.

I do have an idea on how to do it, i just dont know if it will work, maybe you could shed some light:

Can I have an object (invisible) follow the mouse? Then when you clicked, the character would walk to said object.

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
No problem, I was just looking for a quicker way.

I do have an idea on how to do it, i just dont know if it will work, maybe you could shed some light:

Can I have an object (invisible) follow the mouse? Then when you clicked, the character would walk to said object.
Now that, while hard, can be done. Here's a couple done by different members of the forum

Dameria's, which is easier to code but requires calibrations

Arty's, which is harder to code but does not require calibration

-Calvin and Hobbes