Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Incrementing a value through a loop
Old
rahbee

Default Incrementing a value through a loop - 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Last edited by rahbee; 10-14-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM

It's not so hard if you work with it for awhile. As for your question, you could make a code block that looks like this:

variables needed:
-userNum: the number of times the user wants to have the penguin jump (entered by user at prompt)
-jumpHeight: number variable that starts out as 1

Loop (userNum) times
penguin jump (jumpHeight) meters
increment jumpHeight by 1

The increment command can be found by dragging the variable from the properties window onto the script area of Alice (a popup menu opens up with increment as an option).

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Yes, that's the way to do it if you want it to increase by more than one. Good job figuring it out.

Old
fallout87

Default 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM

A window opens and asks the user how many times they want to perform the next method, the amount is then stored in a variable.

How would I make my program, after the the next "method" has been run to repeat the same method the amount of times the user entered at the first window?

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM

You can insert a number variable into the loop # times section, and that variable can be changed when you use the "ask user for a number" function.

Old
fallout87

Default 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
You can insert a number variable into the loop # times section, and that variable can be changed when you use the "ask user for a number" function.

Sorry, should have mentioned that it needs to go in a while loop and not a for loop. Pity because what you suggested would have solved my problem : (

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 10-04-2011, 10:09 PM

I have no idea why you would want to loop in a while when all you need to do is ask the user how many times they want to loop and store it in a variable, but this is how "while" loops are done.

While ( both ( world.booleanVariable == true ) and ( world.numberVariable <= 2 ) )
increment world.numberVariableby 1

And in Java,
boolean Vars1;
int Vars2=0;
int Vars3=3;
while ( Vars1 == false && Vars2 <= Vars3 ){
Vars2++;
};
Simply put, a while loop can ask if a variable is true or if it has not reached a certain number yet, in this case 2. It is used to make very complicated loops that require you satisfy many conditions first. At the end of a while function, or in any part of the function really, Vars2++ is used to increment the number, currently at 0, by 1. This in particular make the while loop a total of 3 times, assuming Vars1 is true. If Vars1 is not true, it will loop to infinity or until it becomes true.
I really don't see why you can't just use the regular loop for this.

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 10-04-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Old
fallout87

Default 10-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
I have no idea why you would want to loop in a while when all you need to do is ask the user how many times they want to loop and store it in a variable, but this is how "while" loops are done.

While ( both ( world.booleanVariable == true ) and ( world.numberVariable <= 2 ) )
increment world.numberVariableby 1

And in Java,
boolean Vars1;
int Vars2=0;
int Vars3=3;
while ( Vars1 == false && Vars2 <= Vars3 ){
Vars2++;
};
Simply put, a while loop can ask if a variable is true or if it has not reached a certain number yet, in this case 2. It is used to make very complicated loops that require you satisfy many conditions first. At the end of a while function, or in any part of the function really, Vars2++ is used to increment the number, currently at 0, by 1. This in particular make the while loop a total of 3 times, assuming Vars1 is true. If Vars1 is not true, it will loop to infinity or until it becomes true.
I really don't see why you can't just use the regular loop for this.
Thanks for the help!

I had 2 or 3 conditions before the while loop that needed to be met to process the while loop i was talking about.

Didnt end up needing to increment, just got my variable to + 1 while the user number input was <=0 then added the next method. (this was added to an "else" part of an if statement that was part of the prior conditions that needed to be met.)

Works beautifully now : )

Old
gilhritrobin

Default 10-09-2011, 03:07 AM

Good job figuring it out.