Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Stupid PC
Old
beachbum111111

Default Stupid PC - 03-10-2012, 06:15 PM

I was on my PC and my Minecraft server wasn't working for my friends. So I tried restarting my computer and what happens? I get error 0200. The hard drive is burnt out. Less then two years and my freaking laptop hard drive is dead. Its bad enough my battery lasts less then half an hour and POWER saver but this is just crap. So now I have two options: Get a new hard drive or get a mac. I will probably get a new hard drive ( and might win a Macbook Pro in a video contest I entered) but it sucks because I haven't backed up my computer in 6 months. I didn't even handle my computer badly or anything. Computers suck

"Don't lead me into temptation I can find it myself"

Old
arty-fishL

Default 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum111111 View Post
Minecraft
We should play together some time
Quote:
I get error 0200. The hard drive is burnt out. Less then two years and my freaking laptop hard drive is dead..
Bad luck, I feel your pain
Quote:
my battery lasts less then half an hour and POWER saver
Not so good, desktops ftw
Quote:
Get a new hard drive
Yes
Quote:
get a mac.
No
Quote:
might win a Macbook Pro in a video contest I entered
Good luck
Quote:
I haven't backed up my computer in 6 months
Ah, I see why you are annoyed. I really do feel your pain though. The same thing happened with my old PC, so I make sure to always backup files in multiple places now. What I didn't anticipate was a bad update on my PS3 causing me to have to reset it and lose all of my saves. Luckily I could download DLC again and trophies + accounts stayed, but all of my games were back to square one.
Quote:
Computers suck
Sometimes. Sometimes I felt like taking a sledgehammer to my old PC.

Old
room14

Default 03-10-2012, 08:24 PM

Buying a mac is sensible option. Just not a good one if you intending to use it for gaming.

:D

Old
beachbum111111

Default 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM

At least my computer laptop lasted longer then my brothers. His laptops hard drive didn't even last 6 months. And when he sent it in they said it crashed due to movement. Like wtf its a LAPTOP!!! It costed him 250 dollars to get a new one (He isn't computer-savvy so he spent more money then required to replace a hard drive). This is always a problem with computer. My moms iMacs hard drive burnt out in 2011 but she had it for 4 years and it was damaged before she got her computer in the first place (It also only had 1 GB and my mom had a lot of programs running at once, not to mention my brother played games on it the required at least 2 GB). That's kinda the reason I want a mac. My moms 2007 iMac take more crap then my 1000 dollar 6 GB i7 PC ever would.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Hard drives typically don't have anything to do with the PC being your OS. They're the first things to go out in a computer every time because they're so well used. In fact, the reason your HDD died out was almost definitely because you received it from a bad manufacturer. The only people you should buy from are Seagate and Western Digital. Seagate's are cheaper but they're fairly good. WDs are extremely good but they cost quite a bit. In the case of HDDs or electronics in general, you ought to pay the extra few dollars so it doesn't break as often. You also get that whole 5 year warranty on WD's hard drives.

Old
beachbum111111

Default 03-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
Hard drives typically don't have anything to do with the PC being your OS. They're the first things to go out in a computer every time because they're so well used. In fact, the reason your HDD died out was almost definitely because you received it from a bad manufacturer. The only people you should buy from are Seagate and Western Digital. Seagate's are cheaper but they're fairly good. WDs are extremely good but they cost quite a bit. In the case of HDDs or electronics in general, you ought to pay the extra few dollars so it doesn't break as often. You also get that whole 5 year warranty on WD's hard drives.
PC isn't a OS. Windows is a OS, PC means "Personal Computer" (But I did talk about liking macs more then PC's so I got mixed up as well :P). Back to the point. How much money is a good 500 GB hard drive (And how much is a TB also?).

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM

PC refers to any small (not server) non-Macintosh (They like to distinguish themselves) Unix-based OS such as Windows or Linux. Before Macintosh it referred to any small-sized computer intended for home-use without exception. Your definition is incorrect in that a user can install a "Hackintosh" on a PC if they so wished, which no longer makes it a PC.
A 500GB costs around $90 and a 1TB costs around $120.
There are 500GBs that cost $80 and terabytes that cost $100 but again, extra dollars for that better quality. You also may or may not have a hard time finding the correct model of hard drive for your computer. Just make sure you have an appropriate number of 6-pin power cables on your computer and a SATA motherboard.

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 03-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Old
beachbum111111

Default 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
PC refers to any small (not server) non-Macintosh (They like to distinguish themselves) Unix-based OS such as Windows or Linux. Before Macintosh it referred to any small-sized computer intended for home-use without exception. Your definition is incorrect in that a user can install a "Hackintosh" on a PC if they so wished, which no longer makes it a PC.
I tried that on my PC once. You need a different graphics processor and everything in order for the programs to work,

Old
zeekthegamer

Question 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Then just buy a new laptop or call the laptop company who ever made the laptop.

Old
beachbum111111

Default 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekthegamer View Post
Then just buy a new laptop or call the laptop company who ever made the laptop.
If I shipped my computer in it would cost 100 bucks for shipping and handling. And my computer was over 1,000 dollars. I spent that much so it would LAST. Not so I can get a new one a year and a half later.

Tags
computers suck, y u r33d dis!!111elevin