Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-21-2009, 06:49 PM

To everyone who's congratulated me, thank you. I'll do my best to keep the forums clean, helpful, and spam-free.

I'm sorry you feel that way, lanceA, but here's my view of it.

First, just to clarify, I NEVER threatened to close "an entire channel," only the thread called "A few of my favorite objects (weapons)," originally posted by fishrfine75, in the "Share Objects" channel. Only that thread would be affected, not the channel itself.

Second, I've been monitoring that thread for quite some time, even before I was a moderator, and have always noticed that, though the requests for models have continued to grow at a fairly steady pace, the original poster himself has not been active in over four months. This leads me to believe that he's likely forgotten about his offer and as a result, the offer is now inactive and should be closed.

Third, consider the two main courses of action here:

Say I don't close the thread: People will continue to request for all of the links for the models to be sent to them. Eventually, it's going to become a ten-page long list of "Can you send all the filez plz" posts which ultimately serves no purpose other than to waste space in the forums.

Say I do close it: The list ends now and, in the event that the original poster of those screenshots comes back, I can easily re-open the thread and allow the requests to continue, as they would then no longer be in vain.

In my opinion, an abuse of my "power" would be to delete the thread without warning or explanation. Here I've given fair warning AND left an option for the thread to continue in the event of his return. I truly believe that this is the best course of action, which is why I've taken it. However, I will admit that my choice of words could have been more professional, a mistake which I've already corrected and will not repeat.

Rest assured, I won't take serious action without thinking it through very thoroughly first.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 11-21-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

congratulations.

congrats!!
Old
DumDum203

Default congrats!! - 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Hey! cool so, you're the first moderator? super moderator, whatev. what does all this mean? ( you were a senior member before, right? what's the dif between that and now? and what's an administrator do?)

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM

A moderator is a person who keeps the forums clean. This means moving improperly placed posts, deleting spam, editing posts to remove curses, closing inactive threads, and even banning certain users (usually advertiser-bots). As there haven't been any regular moderators yet, there isn't a difference between a moderator and a super moderator. An administrator, though, is the person who decides how things go on the forums. He has all the abilities of the moderator, plus the ability to change the site itself as well as the configurations and rules of the forums.

(')>

To Mr. x2495iiii
Old
KaiChang

Default To Mr. x2495iiii - 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM

I have been inactive for the past few weeks,
but right when I arrive on the forum, whats this I see?
Moderator to the Penguin man?

Congrats, lol.
You deserved it. Keep up the good work man.

Congratulations
Kai

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-07-2009, 02:37 AM

Thanks again to everyone supporting me! However, I have an important thought to share with you all:

Recently, it's been brought to my attention that a good amount of my posts, examples, and resources involve some sort of violence.

First let me say that it's was never my intention to emphasize violence when I made Resident Penguin. I was trying to prove that an enjoyable, good-sized, and fully functional game could be made with Alice, as this was a question raised by more than a few aspiring video game developers on these forums. It was my hope that Resident Penguin could be a world shown to new students on their first day of class so they could see what kinds of things they could do if they became proficient with Alice.

Second, I'd like to take this opportunity to announce a few of my non-violent works in the making:

-I plan to upload other, non-violent collections of models, like the wheelchair recently asked for (having a hard time finding a low-poly model, but I'll find one), medical supplies asked for a while ago, urban ambient objects (like newspaper stands and higher-res city terrain), and more. I'd also like to remind everyone that, though I did post a tutorial of how to import objects at the top of the How Do I...? forum, I usually take requests for 3d models and provide them when asked, so feel free to ask.

-I've been experimenting with billboards in Alice and have created an interesting world with only something that could be conceived as cartoon violence by some. It should strike a nostalgic chord with all you gamers out there. It isn't anywhere NEAR finished, though.

Finally, I'd simply like to note that, though it is considered 'uncreative,' violence, even in the slightest doses (such as in my experimental world), has always been popular and appropriate among all age groups when used correctly (think Bugs Bunny with a mallet). Due to this popularity, it can be an effective means of attracting people, especially young students, to get involved in learning to program with Alice.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Experiment_2.0.a2w (2.97 MB, 58 views)

(')>

Old
lanceA

Default 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;13992]Thanks again to everyone supporting me! However, I have an important thought to share with you all:

Recently, it's been brought to my attention that a good amount of my posts, examples, and resources involve some sort of violence.

A good story always involves some form of conflict. The interesting part of the story is how the student solves the conflict without blowing heads off, maiming people for life, etc.

Experience how this young 9th grade student embrassed programming and Alice without blowing legs, arms, eyes off.

http://www.alice.org/community/showt...highlight=ajax
(Scroll down to the Ajax.A2W world)

I disagree with your excuse for including violence. The killing of "things" does not appeal to all potential programming students; especially the females that Dann, Cooper, Pausch were trying to encourage into joining a programming class. Programming is not limited to the male population! Please try and include the female group when posting - computer programming is not sexist.

Thank you,

Last edited by lanceA; 12-08-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old
zarfang8

Default 12-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
A moderator is a person who keeps the forums clean. This means moving improperly placed posts, deleting spam, editing posts to remove curses, closing inactive threads, and even banning certain users (usually advertiser-bots). As there haven't been any regular moderators yet, there isn't a difference between a moderator and a super moderator. An administrator, though, is the person who decides how things go on the forums. He has all the abilities of the moderator, plus the ability to change the site itself as well as the configurations and rules of the forums.
So that would be gabe, right? The Administrator?'

I actually haven't heard much from him. Can you become friends with an Administrator?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-21-2009, 01:11 AM

You can send him a friend request, if that's what you mean. Not sure about getting close to him, though. I haven't heard much from him either since I became a mod.

I figured he's busy helping the Alice Team work on Alice 3.

(')>

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I've been away from the forums for quite awhile -- busy with some other things and also was away on vacation (and I promised myself I would try and make it a semi-real vacation and stay away from work...more or less).

I need to check up on forum maintenance and then will respond.

Tags
moderator, x2495jjjj