Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

...set camera to a 3rd person view
Old
ZED

Exclamation ...set camera to a 3rd person view - 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM

I want to set the camera to a 3rd person view on a by plane yet when I tried a few things I was either looking from behind the propeller or just setting up a lot of coding just to look from behind it. Anyone have any easy ways to set the camera to a third person view. It would help me greatly with my project and all of Alice in the future.

Old
DrJim

Default 08-24-2008, 05:50 PM

1. You obviously have to set the camera's vehicle to the third person object - but you seem to have done that fine.

2. Less simple is to get the view you want. The first step here is just, in the editing stage, to move the camera until you get it "right."

3. Now try making a script moving the "third person" and see how that looks. Note you actually have to play the world to see this - just moving in the edit screens will alter the 3rd person/camera relationship you have worked so hard (?) to set up.

4. If this doesn't give you what you want, you are going to have to go back to Step 2. Keep in mind the relative axis orientations of both the camera and object.

5. When you have it right - drop dummy objects on both the camera and the 3rd person. Then, at the start of your program, add commands to set the "point of view" for both at the dummy objects.

Old
Ping

Default 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM

A trick i found back in the day when doing this, is that you can actually have more than one camera You copy the camera object and then just set the active camera to the second camera that way it saves you a whole lot of action space with the move to and the set vehicle and what not, you make the copied camera vehicle the plane and set the camera to whereever you want it and your set 1 line of Change active camera to-- and thats all you have to do. I hope this helps you. Although Jim's idea works as well =)

Second Camera?
Old
DrJim

Question Second Camera? - 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
... you can actually have more than one camera

You copy the camera object and then just set the active camera to the second camera ...

1 line of Change active camera to-- and thats all you have to do.
How do you do this in regular Alice? I've never been able to add a second camera that actually works to a world.

Old
ZED

Default 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

i tryed ur dummy cam idea jim but its not exactly what i want. i need the camera to follow the biplane in third person (third person being its a the camera is a few feet from the object its follow) the whole dummy cam just sets up other cam views. i need the camera to actually follow the plane like, the camera has been set to equal biplane (camera=biplane) yet its not first person (u see what object sees).

Third Person View
Old
DrJim

Default Third Person View - 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM

The dummy only helps with positioning the camera relative to the 3rd person object and gives you a reference that way. You can switch the camera's vehicle to another object or to the world while the world is playing - but if you want to get back a the 3rd person view, it may be difficult if the object is moving. (That's where a true second camera would be nice - but I don't know how to do that in regular Alice. If you want to do that a lot - Storytelling Alice might be your best solution.)

Take a look at "Click & Flash" example I just attached to another posting, reset the camera's vehicle to the world and move the camera around until you get what you want as the "pilot's view". Then set the camera's vehicle back to the jet and play the world.

Note: Just realized after posting this that it would be easy to add a "control camera" event to the sample, so did that and attached the result.

Alternate moving the camera with the arrow keys and flying the plane by hitting the spacebar. (If you want to make a game of it, try to get a good camera view that also includes enough view of the jet to have the mouse click event work - it is not easy. )
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Click&Flash 2.a2w (264.4 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by DrJim; 08-27-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added example world