Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Add subparts to an object?(this object has no dropdown to begin with)
Old
MastaFowl

Question Add subparts to an object?(this object has no dropdown to begin with) - 09-08-2010, 08:41 PM

i need to add a subpart to the motorboat object and i don't know how. does anyone?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Can't be done inside Alice.

The only way you could do it would be to export the model from Alice to some format a modeling program could read, then cut the subpart you wanted off the main model, then save it and re-import it into Alice as a custom object. Pretty long and complex process, and one even I've never done before. Nasty stuff.

I suggest finding an alternative, unless you're a fast learner with serious motivation.

thx
Old
MastaFowl

Default thx - 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM

thanks but that is too complicated. i'm doing an assignment for class, to edit an object with at least three methods. i have a motorboat that moves forward, not hard at all. i made it lean back and move forward ten meters while moving down 0.63 meters(so it doesn't rise into the air) but when i tell it to turn it goes into the ground(because it's leaning back). this needs to be contained in just the object itself because it's going to get exported and imported into other people programs. i was thinking having an invisible subpart in the center that stays level and i make the boat turn as seen by the subpart so it doesn't turn into the ground. any suggestions as to how to keep the boat from diving into the ground?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Hmm. Could you post your world so I could fiddle with it and maybe figure something out?

Old
MastaFowl

Red face 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM

here it is, i already tried rolling and as seen by's default objects. it just doesnt wan't to be simply, good luck, and thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w motorboat.a2w (236.6 KB, 3 views)

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-09-2010, 11:59 PM

Got something. It's not 100% perfect, but it looks great compared to some of the other solutions I had. It references to the ground (which is a universally present object, so it shouldn't cause problems) and a variable I added which is attached to the object, so it can be imported to any world.

I also improved your movement methods.

Hope you like it.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w motorboat.a2w (246.1 KB, 0 views)