Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Importing downloaded objects?
Old
A-Random-Newt

Default Importing downloaded objects? - 05-27-2008, 12:09 AM

How do i install a new object downloaded from the gallery into Alice?

Old
groucho

Default 05-27-2008, 01:56 AM

Copy the downloaded .a2c file in the appropriate folder of .../Alice/Required/gallery.

Old
A-Random-Newt

Question 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
Copy the downloaded .a2c file in the appropriate folder of .../Alice/Required/gallery.
My files download as WinRar and even after extracting i can not find the a2c file

Last edited by A-Random-Newt; 05-27-2008 at 01:44 PM.

No need to decompress .a2c and .a2w files
Old
DrJim

Default No need to decompress .a2c and .a2w files - 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM

The downloaded .a2c file is compressed (don't think it is actually compressed using .rar - I actually like to decompress them with 7zip) but that's fine. Alice will do the decompression when you load them from the gallery.

Old
A-Random-Newt

Default 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
The downloaded .a2c file is compressed (don't think it is actually compressed using .rar - I actually like to decompress them with 7zip) but that's fine. Alice will do the decompression when you load them from the gallery.
What do i import? the zip file

Old
groucho

Default 05-28-2008, 01:51 AM

We may be talking about different things here. When you go to www.alice.org and click on Downloads/Object Gallery, you see different categories of objects.

Click on one of the categories to see the models. By clicking on the model name you can download the corresponding .a2c file, which you place in the appropriate folder as mentioned before.

You may also want to check Dick Baldwin's excellent Alice Tuturial. I if remember correctly, there is a section on importing objects into the gallery (Google will find it for you).

Old
studentSMC

Default 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM

how about if you downloaded the object as a .max extension? Any way to convert it?

Old
DrJim

Default 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentSMC View Post
how about if you downloaded the object as a .max extension? Any way to convert it?
No. The .max file format contains a lot of information that is simply not supported by Alice. To even begin to get to an .a2c file, you need to reduce the model information to a mesh (say .obj or .3ds format) and a texture. From that point, there are several posting in the Share Objects section of the forum describing the remaining conversion steps.