Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
islandfever
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
Relatively small.

You can download and run a sample movie at http://www.dickbaldwin.com/alice/Ali....htm#Downloads

PS: This sample movie was purposely made small to keep the file size small. When you play it, be sure to play it at its actual size. Don't enlarge it. If you do, the quality will be poor.
Thanks! That really cleared that up!

PS Do you have 98 or is that XP with that format? Just wondering.

Last edited by islandfever; 09-04-2007 at 03:04 PM.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-04-2007, 09:52 PM

XP professional edition
   
Reply With Quote
Old
islandfever
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM

aw man mines "home" edition...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-05-2007, 03:23 PM

I doubt that you will notice any difference between the Home edition and the Professional edition related to the use of Alice or the generation of videos of Alice worlds. The main differences that I have identified have to do with very advanced OS characteristics, such as local area networking security.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopnTheDeerInHumanForm View Post
Does Anybody Know any good FPS Settings for BSR?
Here is a partial quotation from the excellent textbook titled Introduction to Computing and Programming with Java, A Multimedia Approach:

"Early silent pictures were 16 fps. Motion pictures standardized on 24 fps to make sound smoother. ... Digital video (e.g., video cameras) capture at 30 fps. ... Video game players say that they can discern a difference between 30fps video and 60 fps video."

So, take your choice. Just remember that the higher the frame rate, the larger will be the video file and the more computational stress will be placed on your computer while you are concurrently playing your Alice world and capturing video. My HP laptop has a hard time accomplishing both tasks reliably even at low frame rates.

Dick Baldwin
   
Reply With Quote
Added Note
Old
DrJim
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default Added Note - 09-06-2007, 11:05 AM

The whole video frame rate subject would be a great subject for a new one of Dick's tutorials - to cover the subject even moderately well would take something of that length.

In addition to the caution that higher frame rates will really stress your hardware, one other thing to be aware of is that, regardless of the frame rate they operates at, BSR, Camtasia, etc. are "screen capture" programs - and do just that. You can get very interesting (or strange ) effects from the difference between the display frame rate and the capture rate. My best advice here is to experiment before you try to "screen capture" a video you really want to keep in a high quality version.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
... You can get very interesting (or strange ) effects from the difference between the display frame rate and the capture rate. ...
Case in point, remember how the wheels on the stagecoaches on the old cowboy movies used to look like they were turning backwards. With a little effort, you could probably create a similar effect using the fan or the airplane propellor in the Alice gallery by carefully adjusting the rotational speed of the fan or the prop relative to the frame rate. Of course, here we have even a third parameter to deal with, which is the scan rate on the screen.

Dick Baldwin
   
Reply With Quote
Old
ChyTheTasmanianTiger
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Wink 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
Here is a partial quotation from the excellent textbook titled Introduction to Computing and Programming with Java, A Multimedia Approach:

"Early silent pictures were 16 fps. Motion pictures standardized on 24 fps to make sound smoother. ... Digital video (e.g., video cameras) capture at 30 fps. ... Video game players say that they can discern a difference between 30fps video and 60 fps video."

So, take your choice. Just remember that the higher the frame rate, the larger will be the video file and the more computational stress will be placed on your computer while you are concurrently playing your Alice world and capturing video. My HP laptop has a hard time accomplishing both tasks reliably even at low frame rates.

Dick Baldwin
Well actually I've found ZD Soft Game Recorder is one of the few that can record alice
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChyTheTasmanianTiger View Post
Well actually I've found ZD Soft Game Recorder is one of the few that can record alice
The web page at http://www.zdsoft.com/game-recorder/ shows a price of $39 but also has a free download button. What is the difference between the free version and the version that costs $39?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DrJim
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
With a little effort, you could probably create a similar effect using the fan or the airplane propellor in the Alice gallery by carefully adjusting the rotational speed of the fan or the prop relative to the frame rate.
Very true - hence this quote

"And DrJim my high rotation is set to 4 rps and it actually distorts the blades and makes it look like they are turn backwards as a real fan would."

from the thread
http://www.alice.org/community/showt...ighlight=speed

The fan problem discussed is from one of the texts (I think Dunn, et al). It's sort of fun to watch the visual effects when you add a control to smoothly adjust the fan's speed.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Copyright ©2019, Carnegie Mellon University
Alice 2.x 1999-2012, Alice 3.x 2008-2012, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.