Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

A Short Story
Old
dubastot

Default A Short Story - 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Who wants to see my short story I have to hand in on Wednesday, I still have to edit it. I know I am a bad writer, but whatever.

Bodies strewn everywhere, the stench of rotting flesh, graveyards overbooked, crows circling the sky. My return to the city was not pleasant. I was one of the few humans remaining on Earth. I would have to fend for myself for the rest of my life: find my own food, and build my own shelter. The bacteria had done the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. Instead of becoming famous for the world’s greatest cure, I will have to live the rest of my life in hiding regretting everything I have done, regretting becoming a researcher, and regretting being ambitious.
I used to live in a world where bacteria did not exist. 100 years before my time, researchers had come up with a way to eradicate bacteria from the face of the Earth. Mixing a small dosage of the antibiotic, oxazolidinone with isopropyl alcohol, resulted in a product capable of eradicating any bacteria. The breakthrough product was used in virtually everything from toothpaste to street cleaning solutions and pesticides/ herbicides. Cities were protected from the outside world with menacing seventy-foot solid concrete walls. These extreme procedures led to the so-called extinction of all strands of bacteria.
Bacteria were forgotten until a series of mysterious deaths started to occur. The newspapers headlines read, “An unknown illness kills several people within a few days of becoming ill.” The illness spread to over one hundred and fifty countries in just a few months. Suspicions arose, little did anyone know the organism that had been supposedly eradicated a few hundred years ago had returned. The illness spread faster than any other before due to dense city populations.
Physicians and researches raced to find the cause of the mysterious deaths, but there was no hope. Being one of the top medical researchers in the world, I was asked to assist in the research for the cure, but I declined. Theories involving bacteria were formed, but were quickly dismissed due to beliefs that bacteria were extinct and remained extinct.
Reporters constantly swarmed my door trying to find the reason why I refused to research the illness. Suspicions arose and I was suspected for creating it, however my reputation as one of the world’s greatest researchers prevented any of these suspicions from evolving to anything more than rumors.
As the situation worsened, all the possible causes for the illness were ruled out except for bacteria. Theories were created and finalized; a world conference was held and all results were confirmed. The race to find the cure began.
Despite all the research being done, the cure would have never have been found since it lay in the wilderness where no one dared to venture. According to a book I own, many antibiotics were derived from fungi, which could cure and eliminate bacteria with stellar effectiveness. The book also stated without enough exposure to bacteria, the immune system will lose its robust defense against bacteria and won’t be able to fight it.
Researchers scoured libraries, the internet and databases for information on bacteria, nothing was found.
I stayed in my home living off a stockpile of food I had bought soon after the crisis started. My food supplies were enough to last me another three months. People were instructed to stay in their homes and not go outside unless if their life depends on it due to fears that the illness may be airborne. However, the warning came too late, the disease had indeed become airborne and the world had already lost most of its human population and was still losing more.
It is the midst of summer now and all remaining electricity and gas reserves have been used up. I spend most of my time in my basement away from the scorching temperatures, and entertain myself with writing.
After a few weeks of research, the cure seemed like it was within an arms reach and we would be able to save humanity. On its first human test, it went all wrong; the patient’s health began to decrease far more rapidly than before and died just a day after. All hope was lost.
Online news articles read, “Bacteria crawls into people’s houses via air.” The only way to keep safe from the bacteria was to move away from the city and escape the airborne virus trapped within the city walls, people considered this a ridiculous and dangerous idea, but it was my only hope. Moving into the wilderness meant having to find my own food. After living in a city for my whole entire life, I did not know how to go about performing this task.
I had to abandon my car about a mile after leaving the city, the road clearly hadn’t been used for several years, a blanket of fallen trees covered the road, most of the road was washed away and all that remained was a dirt path with patches of asphalt. Walking with all my belongings (food, clothes, etc.) was especially difficult due to my relatively weak muscles (barely any physical activity was required for my job). I struggled and was forced to take frequent breaks. The crickets at night kept me up for long hours and I had trouble sleeping.
The suns rays were heavy and my face was covered with sweat. In the distance, I could see the faint outline of a house and a group of people. I estimated I was about 100km from the city, their reason for living in the wilderness greatly differed from mine.
“I guess I am not the only one that fled the city and escaped from the bacteria, “I remarked.
“What are you talking about?” they replied in unison.
“Don’t you know about the bacteria that has taken the lives of a large portion of the Earth’s population.”
“Neva’ heard of it, we were fed up with the society so we left,” one of them replied.
“How could you become fed up with society? Think of all the great things it has: heating/air conditioning, easy transportation, electronics, easily accessible food.”
“We just didn’t like the noise of passing cars and aircraft overhead, we wanted the sounds of nature. Overtime, we learned to forage the land for food and construct shelters.
“Do you suppose I could stay with you and learn your impressive techniques?”
“Why not, by the way, I am Joe.” Said Joe as he put his hand out.
All I knew how to do was sit in a chair all day and look through a microscope all day. In the city, that was all I needed to do because I could exchange my services for other people’s goods and services.
I decided to live with them for several months so I could learn how to survive in the world, I was glad to be in peace with no news of the outside world. I decided to leave and head back to the city, the decision was abrupt and saddening for Joe and his “gang”.
I was able to complete the journey back to the city in half the time it took me to reach Joe. Throughout my stay with Joe, I had become much more robust and athletic. A shiver ran down my spine as I entered the city gate, no sign of life anywhere and no sign of human activity. It appeared there hadn’t been any human activity for a few months. I knew right away, no cure or vaccine could be found, all other infected cities on Earth would be the same.
I am one of few remaining humans on Earth, technology has been lost, and there is no longer oil or electricity. When I created and released the bacteria, I didn’t realize how devastating it would be, it was intended for use in a cure for Alzheimer. I snuck into the local hospital and injected an Alzheimers patient with it and before long it had spread. When the situation began to go out of hand, I had no other thing to do, but flee. I failed to produce a cure for it as I had not suspected its contagiousness and did not have enough time to do research. Now that I have admitted to my crime, I will return to the wilderness and never be seen by another human being again. Perhaps someone will find this…one day.

I'm a web developer/ designer now.

Last edited by dubastot; 12-14-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: 3rd Update

Old
dubastot

Default 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM

No responses?

Old
Revolt

Thumbs up 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM

WOAH.

That was honestly very nice, other than a few small grammer/flow errors, the story was very deep and meaningful. (Almost didn't read it, but I figured I'd give it a try )

Seriously, great story, you should be proud of it!

Old
dubastot

Default 12-13-2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks man, do you think you could point out my errors please?

Old
Allieso

Default 12-14-2010, 02:37 AM

i appreciate your story very much
although it is very shrot it contains many things that we should think while reading
giving readers many enlightenment

Old
dubastot

Default 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieso View Post
i appreciate your story very much
although it is very shrot it contains many things that we should think while reading
giving readers many enlightenment
Thanks!

Old
dubastot

Default 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Any other insight? I need to hand it in tomorrow, so more insight would be awesome.

Last edited by dubastot; 12-14-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Old
David B

Default 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM

I think it is good, but don't you think your instructor might find it a bit violent?

Old
Revolt

Thumbs up 12-14-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubastot View Post
Thanks man, do you think you could point out my errors please?
This might be too late of a response, but after re-reading (without being in such a rush) your story makes a lot more sense. I also think that since you were limited by the length of the story, you had to cram a lot of information in a small space, in a way "giving away" the "mysteries" of the story.

Very nice though, a longer version, even a book would be EPIC.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Chuck Norris. Rock wins.

And by rock, I really mean Chuck Norris.

Old
dubastot

Default 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I think it is good, but don't you think your instructor might find it a bit violent?
It isn't violent at all.