Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Circles & Texture Maps
Old
jnawrocki

Default Circles & Texture Maps - 01-01-2011, 05:52 PM

I have cropped a .jpg picture into the shape of a circle (using a graphics editor software) and added the circular picture to my Alice world as a texture map at the world level. I want to apply this texture map to the circle object (in Shapes folder), but the circular picture (texture map) will not display on the circle object. However, the circular picture (texture map) will display as the texture on the square object. Does anyone have any suggestions? (NOTE: my end goal is to layer several circles of varying sizes one on top of the other--to create a game)

I have attached the world.

Thanks

Last edited by jnawrocki; 01-27-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Old
CodyAM1993

Default 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

I don't think there is a solution to this yet. This is a rather complicated issue that you're going to have to work around. I would try using the sphere instead if you can warp the image to seem as though it's on a 2-D surface. This problem occurs in several of the shape objects in Alice.

Old
arty-fishL

Lightbulb 01-04-2011, 04:09 PM

If you are just wanting to create a flat circle with this texture on it then I suggest making editing the texture image in a graphics editor so that it is a circle with a transparent colour around it, save it as a gif or png, then import this as a billboard and you will have an object that is actually square, but looks like a circle as the surrounding area is transparent. This still wouldnt allow it to be applied to the actual circular object though.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [-]

Old
jnawrocki

Default 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the idea of a transparent background. However, I want to stack four circles of varying sizes one on top of the other--much like a target. Then the portion of the larger circle that is visible around the edges of a smaller, I want to be clickable. Will the transparent background be clickable?

Thanks again for your ideas.

Old
arty-fishL

Smile 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Ah, no then it wouldnt be clickable, the transparent area of the billboard would still physically (just not visibly) exist. Oh well, mess around with the actual texture image - resize it, shift its alignment etc - that might work.

█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [-]