Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Java Book?
Old
Curio50

Default Java Book? - 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Can anyone recommend a good Java programming book that would fit nicely with Alice 3? I have 15 years computer experience, but would probably be rated between beginner and intermediate as far as programming experience.

Old
lanceA

Default 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curio50 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good Java programming book that would fit nicely with Alice 3? I have 15 years computer experience, but would probably be rated between beginner and intermediate as far as programming experience.
There are no books out on Alice 3.0 at the moment and we probably will not see one for several months, since the software is still in heavy development.

There are several books out on Alice 2.0.

If you wish to get up to speed in both Alice AND Java then I would recommend Alice in Action with Java, Joel Adams, ISBN: 978-1-4239-0096-2. This book starts out introducing Alice 2.0 and then later migrates into Java.

A good book just to learn Alice 2.0 would be Starting Out With Alice, Tony Gaddis, ISBN: 978-0-321-47515-2.

I realize that it might appear senseless to learn Alice 2.0 when there is already an Alice 3.0 Beta out there, but there simply is no documentation on 3.0 available to the public at the moment.

Good luck,

Thank You
Old
Curio50

Default Thank You - 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Yes, I already have the Joel Adams book "Alice in Action." I think this is an excellent excellent book, well written, organized, and not overly verbose. Maybe I'll check out his other book, the one you mention. Thanks!

Old
DrJim

Default 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

One small book I've also found very useful is the O'Reilly "Java Pocket Guide" which sells new for $15. Not a text, but helpful in keeping track of the extensive Java syntax and other programming concepts.

Tags
alice 3, java book