Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Bot/Hacker in the forum?
Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Exclamation Bot/Hacker in the forum? - 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM

I have noticed that occasionally a post will contain, along with its original message, the following link:

nha khoa

It's not always the same user whose messages get these. The link appears to be to a Vietnamese dental clinic's website, which as you can probably tell has nothing to do with Alice at all.

It is my opinion that this may be caused by a bot or a hacker.

I am concerned, partly because I have no way of knowing that the site is not malicious (and I won't risk my computer by looking), but mostly because if this is the work of a hacker, it's a matter of time before someone follows the same lead, but not as harmless...

The first post in this topic is an example of an affected message.
As you can see in the second post in this thread, a similar link appeared in the first post, but was removed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Last edited by DensetsuNoKaboom; 08-15-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Old
debussybunny563

Thumbs down 08-15-2010, 05:36 PM

Hmm.

(In the second example) At least from what I know, Dick Baldwin definitely isn't the kind of guy who would mess around with quotes and links like that.

(In the first example) And the fact that it happened in the other link makes it even more suspicious.

The hacker was clever in putting that link right after the YouTube url, but he or she seems harmless for the time being.
I'm not sure when that addition to the YouTube url got there, since I had clicked the main part of the link, and was completely unaware of the second part of the link.

I'll send a PM to Gabe and x2495iiii right now and link them to this thread.
I do NOT want to see the forums hacked, as it is a nice place, even for the relatively short amount of time I've been a part of it.

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-15-2010, 07:29 PM

The first link's weird, but not a hacker. Much more likely to be a bot (Alice is a relatively easy forum to create an account for, so bots pop up here all the time). If you see bots, report their posts and Gabe or I will delete them.

The second link, though it contains the same weird (Vietnamese?) reference, doesn't appear to link to any malicious content, just a youtube video. Also, neither of the posts exhibited serious bot behavior, such as saying "Great post! Here's where you can buy cheap airline tickets!" or copying other people's posts without quotes, then inserting an ad link in their signature or at the bottom of their post.

If they do that, they'll bet banned and cleaned. Simple as that.

I doubt an actual hacker would try to get the Alice forums, as we don't deal with anything overly personal or remotely financial. The best thing he'd get would be e-mail addresses, and there are easier ways than hacking to get those.

Old
debussybunny563

Arrow 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
The second link, though it contains the same weird (Vietnamese?) reference, doesn't appear to link to any malicious content, just a youtube video.
I missed it the first time too, but look at the last part of the url.
Instead of clicking on the main part, only click on the (Vietnamese?) words, and they'll link to the same site.

Okay, as long as it won't have a bad effect or anything noticeable, I'm fine.

|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up. We will monitor the situation. I had to postpone the upgrade I had intended to perform a few weeks ago, but we are close to getting the upgrade underway. That should bring with it the latest security enhancements. If you notice any suspicious activity, spam or otherwise, let me and X know and we'll deal with it.

Old
shaydon

Default 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM

dude love your signature
----__
---/#o)> ..____
--/###' /#,.=--'
-//##|[==}
-||##|'
-||##|
--\##/_

Old
debussybunny563

Talking 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM

Since the problem doesn't seem that threatening anymore, I guess we can go a little off-topic then.

So, to Shaydon,
Check this out! (took me most all of today to make)

I apologize for the shabby mag and stock, as it's very difficult to get slant angles that are different from your typical forward and backslashes.

It's a UMP 45, my favorite (submachine) gun.

Took WAAAY too long to make. Wasted quite of few hours of my time.

Anyway, hope you can see the level of detail I tried to add.
Tried to make every character worth something,
so those decals you see are probably a part of the real gun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASCIIUMP45.JPG (60.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 08-16-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM

You know, bunny, you should go to the Lounge section and make an ASCII art topic.

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
labtek9

Default 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM

i like the ump 45, both they are really neat cheese dude!

Roar Face! >:O

Circle Buddy!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Yeah, that's pretty cool debussybunny563.

Tags
bot, hack, hacker, link, nha khoa