Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Found a new bug
Old
MayhemGames

Default Found a new bug - 03-27-2010, 10:09 PM

Hey everybody,

Sorry if this may have been posted before but I have recently encountered a bug while programming in Alice. It involves object name conflicts and billboards.

Specifically, I was working on my final project for Computer Science II and it involves a Credits feature. I imported an image I created in paint as a billboard. As it usually does, the name of the billboard object was the image filename, in this case "credits."

However, I had not stopped to consider that I already had an object called credits, specifically the button on the main menu that led to them.

Here's where the problems begin.

As part of the credits method, I had the billboard credits move up X meters from their position hidden underground. However, Alice became seriously messed up and couldn't seem to handle two objects with the same name. I don't remember everything that happened, but somewhere along the way, the billboard object credits disappeared from the objects tree but was still existent in the program. Also, every time I test-ran the world to check how well the credits were working, the credits would stay X meters above the ground when the world ended. This was when I first noticed a problem, as anything that happens in a test run is usually reset.

I obviously know how to fix the situation, but I just wanted to warn everyone else to check their filenames for billboards.

Old
jediaction

Default 03-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the warning, but yah, we could fix it if it happened

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Zack Strife

Default 04-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Another way to make that happen is if you create an object put it in a folder an delete the folder, than you make a method it will stay after you play the world, so if, say, you want a tube to be longer or whatever, than you can do that and you won't have to worry about creating a bunch of small methods, and the world should save

ファイナルファンターVII

Old
jediaction

Default 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM

im sort of following, ill try it

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames