Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

More on mouse events
Old
jrrTolkien

Lightbulb More on mouse events - 09-22-2014, 07:14 AM

Is there a way to store the values of the objects the mouse selects in a variable? I usually have to make an event for when the mouse clicks on each single object, which gets kinda sloppy. If I said when the mouse clicks on anything, and stored what the mouse clicked in a variable, I could use if/else statements to trigger the right method, making it much easier to code when there are a lot of objects I want the user to click.

-jrr

Arwen: “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.”

-April Signature

Maybe!
Old
MrMoke

Default Maybe! - 09-22-2014, 07:49 AM

Add an Object Parameter to the Method you wish to call. Drag the method name into the event, and there will be a dropdown for "what was clicked".

It obviously gets more complicated if you have different types of objects because the parts are name differently.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w demo.a2w (1.78 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by MrMoke; 09-22-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Neat!
Old
jrrTolkien

Talking Neat! - 09-22-2014, 07:59 AM

Great! That'll make things a lot easier (I hope ) Thanks!

-jrr

Arwen: “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.”

-April Signature

Oops-
Old
MrMoke

Default Oops- - 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM

Forgot the Demo

Last edited by MrMoke; 09-22-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Again Updated Demo for Clarity

Old
jrrTolkien

Default 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Happens to me all the time in emails! I keep forgetting the attachments!

-April Signature

Updated mouse events
Old
AliceMaster00

Location: You know that gap between the bottom of your dresser and the floor? Yeah, there.
Default Updated mouse events - 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM

So, I took a look at the demo and found that even if you don't click on the t-rex, the action is still performed (its leg moves anyways). I messed around with the world and fixed the issue. There needs to be a method that checks what object was clicked, but it can't grab the variable that is in the parameter in a different method. So, all you do is link the object within the parameter to a world variable, preferably a string, so that the method that initiates the action upon the object that was clicked knows what action to initiate. You can skim through the coding to see what I did. Let me know if it was helpful. There are two dinos. If you click the trex, then the trex nods, if you click the triceratops, then the triceratops nods it's head, but, if you click on the ground or the sky, or any object that is not the trex or the triceratops, then nothing happens.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w demo.a2w (2.31 MB, 1 views)

What a piece of work is a man? How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and in motion, how express and admirable how like an angel! What apprehension oh how like a god! The beauty of thee world, the paragon of animals, and yet- to me, what is this quintessence o' dust? Man delights, not me. Nor woman either, nor woman either.

Good Job
Old
MrMoke

Thumbs up Good Job - 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM

A major portion of successful design is to create efficient and creative ways to pass information between modules. Global variables are a good way to make information accessible.
My original demo was just a quickie to show how to pass one of the same type of clicked objects into a method.

This one took a few more minutes, but accomplishes the same using lists of similar objects.

There's always a way, but you have to plan it first
Attached Files
File Type: a2w DinoClickChecker.a2w (2.87 MB, 4 views)

Old
AliceMaster00

Location: You know that gap between the bottom of your dresser and the floor? Yeah, there.
Default 09-25-2014, 06:40 AM

Nicely done! Ha ha, I never thought of using lists. That's probably why I'm having so much trouble with my weapon swapping system.

What a piece of work is a man? How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and in motion, how express and admirable how like an angel! What apprehension oh how like a god! The beauty of thee world, the paragon of animals, and yet- to me, what is this quintessence o' dust? Man delights, not me. Nor woman either, nor woman either.

Wow...im dumb
Old
RavenOfCode

Default Wow...im dumb - 09-25-2014, 07:43 PM

I saw your comment and I realized that's a smart idea... a weapon system with lists...

Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :)

My best Alice game:

Clash of the Cubes (an arena fighting game):
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=game