Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Import model removed
Old
ramil

Default Import model removed - 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM

I can't find the import option in Alice 3 to import a new model. Has it been removed or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Old
jediaction

Default 04-09-2010, 08:12 AM

I could not find it either and there are no tutorials of ALice 3 beta so i guessing its there but not visible

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
chaoticownz

Default 09-04-2010, 12:33 AM

I'm no expert, but from what i've seen you can't import models in the old .ase format, you also can't import .ase into a 2.2 project and save, then import the .a2w file into 3.0 as it will give you an error message saying it is not supported....too bad too, 2.2 is way buggy with the html export and 3.0 works great in everyway (except importing,lol). I too would appreciate any feedback on this.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM

I don't really know what to think about Alice. It's got so much potential to be excellent, but it's bogged down by bug-riddled, mediocre source code to the point of being useless to some and frustrating to all others.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
I don't really know what to think about Alice. It's got so much potential to be excellent, but it's bogged down by bug-riddled, mediocre source code to the point of being useless to some and frustrating to all others.
I don't find it useless or frustrating, but yes, the code definitely needs work. So many dysfunctional features...

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Import model removed.
Old
hgs

Default Import model removed. - 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM

I don't think Alice 3 has ever had any import facilities. With the target usage primarily being a replacement for Alice 2, i.e. for teaching, I think import is a lower priority than it would be for those building assets for games, so it won't be one of the first things to be done.

If you are finding bugs in Alice 3, then the best thing to do is report them so they show up in the bug tracker. An open source development model has not been chosen, and there may be all sorts of reasons for that, including the small size of the development team, which makes it difficult to cope with code submissions of varying quality. However, finding bugs and reporting them is the next best thing because it gives practical feedback about the state of the code. It also means the team has a potentially vast testing department.

Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default 12-16-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil View Post
I can't find the import option in Alice 3 to import a new model. Has it been removed or am I just looking in the wrong place?
we will add import to alice3 and like everything in alice3, it will hopefully be better than ever:

http://www.alice.org/community/showp...5&postcount=33

Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default 12-16-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
i believe this is a fair criticism.

it was far from a "no brainer" to release alice3 in beta. still it seemed (and seems) better to get it out there so we can get feedback rather than design and develop in a vacuum waiting until it is something that we are proud of before releasing.

i sincerely apologize for the frustration and strive to make things better.

i welcome the criticism, by the way. it helps to make alice better.