Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Problem in Alice under Ubuntu
Old
ashlayne

Default Problem in Alice under Ubuntu - 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM

I've been working with Alice since about January or so for my programming class, and really enjoy it! My only problem so far is, under Ubuntu I can't get Alice to let me rename things in the Details pane. I can, however, do this just fine under Windows.

Say, for instance, I create a new world, and want to rename the method from world.my first method (which of course shouldn't be used in programming) to world.animation. I go into the details panel with the world method selected, click the edit button... and nothing happens. Like I said, though, if I take the same actions under my Windows OS, I can rename the method just fine.

Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, did you fix it and how?

Similar problem in 2.2 in XP
Old
pearcej

Default Similar problem in 2.2 in XP - 03-17-2010, 06:36 PM

I have found rename to be inconsistent in 2.2 running in XP.

Sometimes if I just keep persistently clicking on the name of the method, I can eventually change the name, but sometimes I cannot rename. Where the hotspot is doesn't seem to matter.

Maybe if you try persistently clicking, it might work?

Old
Niteshifter

Default 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Not many people here run Linux here.

Are you using the Linux version of Alice 2.0, or are you running Alice 2.2 through a Windows emulator like Wine?

If you're using a Windows emulator, I'd say to either just try their forums as it would be something to do with the emulator rather than Alice itself. If you're running Alice 2.0 for Linux, I'd say to not even bother since Alice 2.0 has a lot of bugs and the Alice team aren't working on that version.

I have tried Alice 2.2 through Wine on Ubuntu 9.04, but there was so much lag that I just quit and left it to my Windows machine to handle anything in Alice.

Old
patrick076

Default 05-16-2010, 11:28 PM

I never worked on alice but now wants to start myself please suggest me how to start off

Tags
ubuntu