Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How to play media files in Alice
Old
AV1976

Default How to play media files in Alice - 01-04-2009, 10:18 PM

I need to run a movie file from Alice upon zooming into an object. The object I am using is the Computer Monitor, idea is to play a movie file when the focus is on the screen of the computer. The movie should run inside the screen of the computer. Any help would be appreciated, thanks....

Old
DrJim

Default 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM

This would be very difficult to do. You'd have to make a frame by frame list of the images from the movie and then sequence through them as textures for the screen.

A way to get the same effect is to just make the screen semi-transparent and actually stage the action with regular objects behind the screen. This works nicely but you can't use a regular video file - you have to make all your own actions.

A third option, and the one I'd recommend if you really want to try this is to compine a screen capture from Alice with the video file using another effects processor such as Wax ( http://www.debugmode.com/ ). This works well for video but unfortunately doesn't give you any interactive capability.

Old
AV1976

Default 01-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Thanks... appreciate your help. I have tried Option 3 and you're right, thats the only practical option.