Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

bump
Old
carolinason

Default bump - 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM

bump

Last edited by carolinason; 02-15-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Old
reuben2011

Default 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM

At least give a convincing argument by explaining why you think it's the worst software out there.

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM

That's odd. I didn't know that people who just complained got responses. Now, you need to remember that the good people at carnegie melon gave you the worst software ever for free, and they'll be happy to give you a full refund of your purchase price if you ship a copy of your defective software on CD to:

123 nothing lane
Invalid City

You'll get a letter back with the same contents, plus nothing. Enjoy!

And guess what? That's fine, because you paid NOTHING! You can't complain about nothing! I don't care if it crashed your computer! Another thing to read is the DISCLAIMER which you are bound to when you run the application:

Quote:
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM,
DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF
CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
David B

Default 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
That's odd. I didn't know that people who just complained got responses. Now, you need to remember that the good people at carnegie melon gave you the worst software ever for free, and they'll be happy to give you a full refund of your purchase price if you ship a copy of your defective software on CD to:

123 nothing lane
Invalid City

You'll get a letter back with the same contents, plus nothing. Enjoy!

And guess what? That's fine, because you paid NOTHING! You can't complain about nothing! I don't care if it crashed your computer! Another thing to read is the DISCLAIMER which you are bound to when you run the application:
Nice post Zone. Also, if you are only going to complain about how bad Alice is, stop using it, and stop using the Alice Forums. Many posts have been made before you complaining about how awful Alice is, and most of the users don't buy it. CMU has given you this "awful" software for free, as Zone already said. I really don't see the point of creating a post like this. Also, you said that Alice is a bad software, but why do you think so?

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM

I'll bet he dislikes it because:
Quote:
bump
That's a reasonable reason!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
room14

Default 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM

mmhm. he got a point there.

:D

Old
reuben2011

Default 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I love the sarcasm in this thread. But seriously, it really bugs me when someone says something "sucks" and then gives no reasons why or suggestions on how to improve.

Old
David B

Default 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinason View Post
bump
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
I'll bet he dislikes it because:

That's a reasonable reason!
Yeah. I don't even know what that means.

Also, I said other people created "I HATE ALICE" posts. Here is one of them: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3334.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2011, 09:38 PM

His reason was basically that he didn't like the fact that Alice was full of random errors, he just edited it and deleted all of that for some reason. So he used to have a good(ish) reason for disliking Alice and making his post, but he deleted it. No need to keep making a big deal about it.

Also, it's my opinion that, even if the software is free, it doesn't excuse sub-par programming. Alice, though very well designed, is still full of bugs and could be so much better. You should know, however, that it is for this reason that Alice 3 has spent so long in the making. Dennis Cosgrove has real talent and truly wants to make Alice 3 the best it can be. When it's done, it will be excellent.

Old
carolinason

Default 02-22-2011, 05:47 AM

I tried to change the title, but it didn't stay. I'll get the grocery list for all you inquiring minds, but i can't right now /* Time

short summery
will not run in widows 7 64bit - and just saying that, "it runs in my install of W7-64bit is not an answer" - and it did run in mine for a while, but then kicked an error that is the same as one in these posts, but it doesn't go much anywhere - i can create a new user and alice will run once in that new user. but then i have to create a new user.

in xp only ifalicefailstrythis.exe will launch alice 2.2 and will not keep preferences like default directory to save files, which makes for multiple copies of worlds.

my work around was to install a windows 7 32bit guest OS in virtual box and it runs pretty well so far, knock knock

like i said, tried to edit the title to bump and i thought it let me, but it didn't seem to stick. so now we can really reexamine the situation now that i have your attention. i didn't mean to use such hyperbole, but then again i suppose i did. it just worried me that this is a standard accepted "ide" for schools (which i am using for a class in school) that is supposed to inspire coders. well i couldn't get it to run and i'd rather pull my hair out for syntax errors in vi using gcc than trying to get Alice 2.2 to actually allow me to code in it. - so thanks to you that gave me the benefit of the doubt

Last edited by carolinason; 02-22-2011 at 06:00 AM.