Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

project idea would love feed back and sugestion
Old
docbucey

Default project idea would love feed back and sugestion - 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Well now that i got alice working on on of my pc's im thinking about starting a web based mmo game using it thats educational and would love any feed back from the comunity on is it possible and how to accomplish it. My initial thaought is to base it on the US and its states and making it where each state has its own area and those areas meet basic High School standerts but can i do this and make it fun? btw if i do this it will be an add sponsored sight so no one would have to pay for a full membership.

so there it is any thoughts?

well.
Old
rich0e0rick

Post well. - 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM

since no one else posted, I'm going to state that I'm pretty sure this is near impossible for 3 reasons:
1) web based is near impossible by itself, since the export to HTML function almost never works correctly, and if it did, would most likely have a huge waiting time,(unless you can somehow make it so they play it in alice and not on the web)...
2) doing the high scores are also near impossible, since I don't know of anyway of saving the points permanently (ex: the score after you CLOSED Alice, much else the fact that you have to send that score to your web site of yours to class).
3) the thing of every state would be a lot of work, and I personally cant think of where to start after(and if) you ever get Alice to save the scores and put them into HTML or other forms of web design/script...
And so... well ya, good idea, but i wouldn't attempt it, although you CAN still make the game and post it either here or on your site for teachers of those high schools to download and evaluate the students themselves...

P.s. IF EVER BY SOME MIRACLE you can make all of the above work, I would still make the game before i do all the rest, because you'll be surprised by the amount of time consumed to simply put code together and test it, and you should always be aware of that BEFORE you start thinking of the more complicated bits.

your friend (i hope)

rick

im back!!! FINNALY!!! got windows working on my mac again!!!

Last edited by rich0e0rick; 09-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Critisem with an un entended chalange. You may have made a freind
Old
docbucey

Smile Critisem with an un entended chalange. You may have made a freind - 09-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the critisism and your rigt every states exact requirments would be next to emposible i would have to employ an army of teachers per state. but i am finding thy all have the same general basic requirments. high scores are not important in an mmo so im not worried about those. the web thing alice exports into a web code so the question i guess on the rest is saving user accounts and there info.......you made a freind but remember nothing is imposible hard but not impossible lol...yea ive done some basic research

Old
rich0e0rick

Talking 09-30-2008, 08:22 AM

lol, thats why i was saying NEAR impossible....

rick

You simply cant with ALICE
Old
ZED

Angry You simply cant with ALICE - 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM

doing a whole mmo based of the Alice system is simply immpossible there are other projrams that could but i no that could make it with Alice plain and simple. Im gueesing your just some guy who looked at runescape and said hey I can do that with Alice like some have thought in the past in Alice forms.

It just to complicated for alice and if you look into the time and effort it take to make a MMORPG its insane its takes years and years at least 1 year for the basic quest system and such then you still have function, gameplay, interface and a crap load more to think about.

Overall Alice would never people able to be used in that function, its to complicated for just 1 person a a small group to tackle without wasting a large amount of life! Just stick to simple game and movies that can be made on Alice because that is what it is here for a simple teaching program, for programming.

you CAN with alice
Old
rich0e0rick

Exclamation you CAN with alice - 10-01-2008, 10:41 AM

you actually can do this in Alice, its simply not recommended since it would take lots of time... but it is possible

take this for example, i made this in lets say ten minutes, and you have a box that moves like in runescape with i think 20 tiles so far... u can only move 1 square at a time (either side to side, in 45, or front or back) and is all controlled with the mouse... simply add an inventory of some find(search the Forums) and then do lots of code to animate a real character in its place.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w runescape remake.a2w (243.0 KB, 87 views)

one for one against
Old
docbucey

Default one for one against - 10-03-2008, 08:22 AM

Well one says yes you can use it for my project one says no you cant hmmmm guess ill have to try ad see

Old
DrJim

Default 10-04-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbucey View Post
Well one says yes you can use it for my project one says no you can't - have to try and see.
Good attitude and I tend to agree that you can. But before you get too far into the project, you might want to really ask yourself why you want to try this with Alice (just learning what does and doesn't work is a pretty good reason, IMO). There are far better options available.

One other comment on this after looking at the Wiki entry on MMO's. Your biggest problem is going to be in access control. I don't care what you put on the web - it's going to be hacked. (A friend, who used an established web designer, actually had several thousand spam and other messages make it through the firewall the first day the program was up.) I'd suggest you at least eliminate the "massive" part of MMO until you get the basics working.

Last edited by DrJim; 10-04-2008 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Added hacking comment

thanks dr jim
Old
docbucey

Default thanks dr jim - 10-04-2008, 07:25 AM

My resons for the use of alice are simple one its the only oop i got right now because its free so i figured i would use it to do the initial write and get the bugs out and then if i can find a free vertion of java i might teach my seelf that and do the final write up. But yes its mainly for me to learn how to write one right now and get bugs out i dont know if ill be using it in the final build. now anny oop languages that are free and easy to learn that may be better hey send me links to them but im on a windows system

Old
lanceA

Default 10-04-2008, 01:43 PM

I like the spirit!

Java is free - you can download it from Sun at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Jave will run on any platform, not simply Windows. You will need to install the JRE (Java Runtime) and the JDK (Java Development Kit) to your system. BEWARE - the size of both files are enormous. The site I reference above will give you the sizes of each download.

If you are serious about learning Java then you probably want to download Dick Baldwin's Java tutorials -they're free also simply look for his signature on any post here and you will find the address for the Java tutorials.

Good luck,