Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Error message:"unable to create gallery profile"
Old
RD Robinson

Default Error message:"unable to create gallery profile" - 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM

When our students open the Alice program they are receiving an error "unable to create gallery profile". This causes the program not to load and display all the pre-created image objects that a student should be able to drag and drop into a scene. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

Unable to create gallery viewer
Old
GClarke

Default Unable to create gallery viewer - 12-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Hi, I'm new to Alice and would love to use it with classes but when I tried it yesterday my pupils got the same error: did you ever get a solution?
Thanks
Geoff Clarke

Old
HeavenSentTenshi

Exclamation 01-09-2008, 02:00 PM

I'm a student using this program in my Programming 1 class, and we're having the same issue. If anyone can resolve this, or at least provide an explanation, I, for one, would be very appreciative.

We can't access the gallery at all, it's just a greyed out area that says "This is where the Gallery would go". It's like it's mocking us or something.

Edit:
Here's the error

Unable to create the gallery viewer

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005

os.name: Windows XP

os.version: 5.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: C:\Documents and Settings\polla855\My Documents\Alice\Required

Throwable that caused the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.galleryviewe r.GalleryViewer.<init>(GalleryViewer.java:1069)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.guiInit(CameraViewPanel.ja va:769)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.<init>(CameraViewPanel.jav a:744)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.SceneEditor.<init>(SceneEditor.java:349)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. guiInit(JAliceFrame.java:156)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. <init>(JAliceFrame.java:71)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.mainInit(AuthoringTool.java:456)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.<init>(AuthoringTool.java:408)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice.main( JAlice.java:123)

Last edited by HeavenSentTenshi; 01-31-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Addition

Old
mappy24

Default 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Exact same problem here:

Unable to create the gallery viewer

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005

os.name: Windows XP

os.version: 5.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: P:\Alice\Required

Throwable that caused the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.galleryviewe r.GalleryViewer.<init>(GalleryViewer.java:1069)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.guiInit(CameraViewPanel.ja va:769)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.<init>(CameraViewPanel.jav a:744)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.SceneEditor.<init>(SceneEditor.java:349)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. guiInit(JAliceFrame.java:156)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. <init>(JAliceFrame.java:71)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.mainInit(AuthoringTool.java:456)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.<init>(AuthoringTool.java:408)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice.main( JAlice.java:123)

HELP!!

Access rights or zip file issue?
Old
DrJim

Question Access rights or zip file issue? - 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Since, disappointingly, no one more knowledgeable has even taken a stab at this question, even though it's been given as a problem for months, I'll make a try.

To get the galleries to show up locally, there has to be a required/gallery folder in the same directory that contains the executable version of Alice. That folder, in turn, has to contain folders for the various types of gallery objects. The objects themselves (.a2c files) are actually zipped data files.

Note if you have two executable versions of Alice (say regular and "Storytelling") in different directories - each has to have it's own required/gallery folder for it's own local objects.

For a single user - can't see how this would cause a problem. In a networked situation, I don't know since I've never worked that way, but it sounds like anyone not an administrator doesn't have access to the needed data. Maybe someone else can explain why and give a fix - seems like a very simple thing to be giving such a problem.

Old
chris1984

Default 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM

Hi

I was asked if i could create a package to use this on a RM CC3 system and got the same message on restricted user.

I found that the Program needs full permissions to the following folders and registries:

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaPropert ies\PrivateProperties\Joystick
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Don't know how this will help you with your network but i have created a cc3 package for it and you are welcome to request it from me by e-mail.

Chris

Old
asilva

Default 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM

Hi chris1984,

i've been trying to create an msi for Alice and would be grateful if you wanted to share yours.

Network problems loading the gallery
Old
mvickery

Default Network problems loading the gallery - 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM

I have the same unresolved problem.
It is due to the students not having administrator rights on the local machine profile, so they dont have access to the local (c: ) drive.
This stops the gallery being created.
We do not want to give students local rights, otherwise they can install what they want on the machines.
Is it possible to have an option to change the location of these files?

Last edited by mvickery; 04-18-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Old
arosamond

Default 11-27-2008, 03:22 AM

Just wondering if anyone ever resolved this issue?

Old
DrJim

Default 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM

I believe Alice 2.2 beta has some options that at least help with this problem.