Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Solid objects
Old
MrTechno

Default Solid objects - 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Hi, I am tyring to make a skating game and I have no idea how to make the ramps solid so the board can go on them. Could anyone help?

-MrTechno

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Hi, I am tyring to make a skating game and I have no idea how to make the ramps solid so the board can go on them. Could anyone help?

-MrTechno
The easiest way I have found is to place the skater where you want it on the ramp and then drop a dummy object at the skater. Make sure the skater is facing the way you want and tilted correctly; the position of the body parts does not matter. In general I would suggest 3 to 4 dummy objects with the last one being the skater in its usual orientation.

Using Dummy Objects to create a path:
  1. From the main screen click on the "ADD OBJECTS" button (just below the scene.)
  2. In the Gallery view, click on the "more controls >>" button on the right side of the window.
  3. Before moving the object, select it and click the "drop a dummy at selected object" button.
  4. In the object list on the left click on the "Dummy Objects" folder then click on the object you just created and rename it to something meaningful.
  5. Place the object where you want it to start so that it is facing the right way and tilted correctly etc.
  6. Drop another dummy object and name it.
  7. If you are doing something like going up a ramp set the vehicle of the dummy object to the ramp so that if the ramp moves the dummy will move with it.
  8. For the last dummy, right click on the object in the Object list select "methods", "Orient to" and select the initial dummy object. Now move your object to the end position and drop and name another dummy object.
Now you can move along a path by using a method that causes the object to orient itself to one dummy object after another. How fast the object moves can be controlled by the duration of the "Orient to" instruction. The last dummy object insures that the ending orientation is the same as the start.

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Thank you!
Old
MrTechno

Default Thank you! - 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM

thank you so so much! I will give it a go in a bit!