Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Mummy Assignment
Old
lexihammonds13

Default Mummy Assignment - 07-20-2015, 05:47 PM

I was able to create new methods, which made everything a lot easier. I'm still learning how to do everything so I'm still a bit confused. I read in another post that "turn at speed" as opposed to "move at speed" makes an object walk without having the legs detach from the body, so I will definitely use that next time. Does anyone know what websites show tutorials on methods like walking, raising arms, or anything else like that?

Old
MrMoke

Default 07-20-2015, 10:03 PM

it's been my experience that while many models have similarly named parts, each is constructed somewhat differently. This means that each requires different code to accomplish the same task.

Best advice would be to experiment with the characters you wish to use until you get what you want.

It's not uncommon in any programming environment.

Old
Petit Suisse

Default 07-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Not sure what you mean with the legs detaching? Sounds like maybe you had affect subparts ticked?

Many objects have their own custom methods, so what functions this way for one, might not for the other.

I went through the tutorials by SilentsTech on Youtube. He's a genius and has made it very simple with short videos on the basics. I found some others, but some of them were a bit too full on or too much packed into one video.

Old
Ylu

Default 07-24-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Suisse View Post

I went through the tutorials by SilentsTech on Youtube. He's a genius and has made it very simple with short videos on the basics. I found some others, but some of them were a bit too full on or too much packed into one video.

I agree with Petit Suisse, youtube is a great way to go. I've also checked out SiletTech and will be going through all of his videos so I can figure out how to do my game at the end

Old
Petit Suisse

Default 07-24-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylu View Post
I agree with Petit Suisse, youtube is a great way to go. I've also checked out SiletTech and will be going through all of his videos so I can figure out how to do my game at the end
I'm curious what you'll choose to do for the game. You're like the leader in our class as I see it. First to get them done and you seem to be grasping it well too.

Subpart detachment.
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default Subpart detachment. - 07-25-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexihammonds13 View Post
I was able to create new methods, which made everything a lot easier. I'm still learning how to do everything so I'm still a bit confused. I read in another post that "turn at speed" as opposed to "move at speed" makes an object walk without having the legs detach from the body, so I will definitely use that next time. Does anyone know what websites show tutorials on methods like walking, raising arms, or anything else like that?
When working with an object's subparts, to make it look like it is walking for instance, the subpart can be turned or rolled without it detaching from the main object. So you want to make the leg and knee turn to make it look like they are bending while you move the whole object forward.
If the leg is moved forward it will stay "ahead" of the rest of the object when the whole object moves.
The other thing than can make a part "act up" is if the vehicle of the subpart (under properties) is changed to the world. It is this property that "attaches" the subpart to its parent.

Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Last edited by chickentree; 07-25-2015 at 12:53 PM.