Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Assign4-TT
Old
thien

Default Assign4-TT - 09-23-2014, 04:01 AM

This assignment is not difficult, however it's a little time consuming. My character is a tiger. He walks from the left of the screen to the middle, greets his audience, then starts singing. At first I have him jump at random heights during the same song, however after re-reading the instruction, I made him jumps at the same randomly set height throughout the whole song. I'm much more comfortable working with parameters and variables now. Again, making him walk is still the most tricky part. I did not make him a stage, poor tiger!

By the way, does anybody know exactly what is the difference between functions and methods in Alice?
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Assign4-TT.a2w (762.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by thien; 09-23-2014 at 04:54 AM.

A Little Different
Old
MrMoke

Default A Little Different - 09-23-2014, 10:17 AM

They both contain code that does something. The main difference is that Functions return a value "Type" that's pre-defined when it's created. Thus, if you create a Boolean function, parameters can be passed into it, it rolls through some logic, and returns a true or a false.

Functions
Old
RavenOfCode

Default Functions - 09-23-2014, 06:49 PM

Functions return a value, methods do stuff, functions are not seen on the screen they are back round process's that process and give us information such as "is the monkey blue". However methods are seen, they perform an action, such as "moving an object".

Does that clear it up?

Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :)

My best Alice game:

Clash of the Cubes (an arena fighting game):
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=game

Old
relliott44444

Default 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM

In answer to your question, a function returns a some item to the caller (the return item may be an object too). A method, in contrast performs a defined capability for the object.