Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Do you think Alice sucks?
Yes 18 33.96%
No 35 66.04%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Hate Alice? Rant about it here!
Old
David B

Exclamation Hate Alice? Rant about it here! - 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM

I am tired of seeing threads/posts on the Alice Forums stating that Alice sucks, so I would like to centralize those complaints here. If you hate Alice, please rant about it here.

You can simply say that Alice sucks, or you can explain why.

Also, if for some strange reason, you feel the need to spam, I won't care, but it is for the Administrators/Moderators to decide whether or not you are banned.

Please however, avoid trolling. Thanks!

Old
debussybunny563

Default 03-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Alice isn't bad because it has way too many errors and bugs, especially that annoying "Error during simulation" thing. I should be able to stop a method mid-way without having to worry about the world crashing. If this problem was eliminated, I would be a lot more active with Alice, but I've quit for a while because of the frustration.

Unsupported features and cross-compatibility issues are annoying as well. One of the worst problems is when Alice is unable to open the file. All of your work is gone.

Alice also has lag issues. One of the reasons my Halo thing hasn't been finished. It can't handle a DMR and an MA37 in the same world. Shooting the MA37 will cause a huge FPS drop.

I might have forgotten a few things, but other than the things I've mentioned, it's a really nice program. It works better for games that are more 2-D (like x2495iiii's Sleight Blind), and unfortunately I like making FPSs.
I really do like the program though, and would love to try Alice 3.0 once it's out of beta.

I am in no way discouraging people from using it. It's great, but just remember that there are a LOT of bugs.

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Old
David B

Default 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussybunny563 View Post
Alice isn't bad because it has way too many errors and bugs, especially that annoying "Error during simulation" thing. I should be able to stop a method mid-way without having to worry about the world crashing. If this problem was eliminated, I would be a lot more active with Alice, but I've quit for a while because of the frustration.

Unsupported features and cross-compatibility issues are annoying as well. One of the worst problems is when Alice is unable to open the file. All of your work is gone.

Alice also has lag issues. One of the reasons my Halo thing hasn't been finished. It can't handle a DMR and an MA37 in the same world. Shooting the MA37 will cause a huge FPS drop.

I might have forgotten a few things, but other than the things I've mentioned, it's a really nice program. It works better for games that are more 2-D (like x2495iiii's Sleight Blind), and unfortunately I like making FPSs.
I really do like the program though, and would love to try Alice 3.0 once it's out of beta.

I am in no way discouraging people from using it. It's great, but just remember that there are a LOT of bugs.
I wish there was some way to get rid of these bugs by modifying Alice's Python Code, but apparently the bugs are in the JavaScript because I tried everything that came to my mind.

Old
Deidara1BG

Default 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM

(Please dont ban me,just my opinion!)

I love Alice 2.2,but i dont really like Alice 3 that much for now.
First,it really takes alot of time to install it,and the installation strangely glitched.(it was up to atleast 50%,then it suddenly went down to 23% or something)

I think they should have kept it the way Alice 2.2 was.I couldn't even add an object in the new Alice 3,while Alice 2.2 was way more simple.

Other than that,it has great graphics and some new methods.I hope they improve it in the next versions!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 07-11-2011, 05:51 PM

I don't ban people unless they give me a good reason to do so. Or if they're caustically ignorant. Sometimes not even then.

Old
sfunk

Default 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM

How about ranting about the forums itself? because it seems lately that all these forums have become is egotistical ravings that aren't even half deserved, just because you know more about Alice then another user doesn't give you the right to be a total jerk to them, and how about actually helping them? yeah giving a link to an old project might help, but a lot of times it's young kids who have no idea whats going on with the code, And even the models that I spent my own time on for members of the community and even the ones I did in my spare time so members could have more obects to use came under critical criticism, if you can do it so much better, why not do it yourself? People should be happy,I have given up many hours of my own time to help this community by offering many objects and a crap load of tutorials for new users, if they aren't good enough, do it better then! and stop being so critical and pretentious.

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM

If you're trying to get all posts from alice haters, they probably won't see this thread by a few days from now, so I doubt it will work for that long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ

Old
Dj Tech42

Lightbulb 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM

I think Alice is a an amazing idea, but it just isn't implemented in the best way. Hopefully, Alice 3 will make everything better.

Things that should definitely be added are:
1.Collision Detection (Real, not workaround)
2.Saving to a file while running a world (text files, or even better, save the state of the world)
3.Option to have camera follow mouse movement (like in FPS, not dragging the camera)
4.Executable export
5.Better web export

These features would make it the ultimate free game creation tool.

Flight Simulator with Dogfight Modes:
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6840

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfunk View Post
stop being so critical and pretentious.
I noticed that too. At least it's better than getting no input at all. Getting criticism at the very least motivates you to surpass yourself.

Old
sfunk

Default 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Dj, those would definitely boost Alices' reputation for sure, although collision would certainly be incredibly tough to achieve. and X yeah, some response is better than none I suppose, but it's usually constructive criticism that motivates more than deconstructive

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn