Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Textbook suggestions after teaching with Alice this year...
Old
Jeremy

Lightbulb Textbook suggestions after teaching with Alice this year... - 04-24-2006, 08:47 PM

We purchased a set of the Alice textbooks this year and had 8th 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students complete assignments. Here are my main suggestions:
  1. The CD should include mpg or quicktime movies of each problem. The book descriptions for students to read are too vague. I have to often fill in the exact specs of each problem. This can be fixed by including movie captures of each of the problems. I've done this with Camtasia, but that's timeconsuming and a general pain. Since the movie export feature is vaporware, the authors should add movies so that teachers don't have to. Students can just look at the movie when they have specific questions.
  2. Content in each chapter should always have matching practice problems. There are many topics including in the chapters that don't have any matching practice problems. For example, the fog feature is discussed, but none of the practice problems require fog to be enabled.

I've made edits to this post after I reviewed the known bug list....

I'm happy to hear that a relationship with EA has been established. Alice is a great tool to use in addition to JKarel, and Karel The Robot

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-24-2006 at 09:02 PM.