Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Assignment 2
Old
Kirk MacLean

Default Assignment 2 - 09-08-2016, 10:19 AM

I finished my Alice world last night and I chose to do the penguin one where he falls in the hole. I played with it a little bit and instead of just having him waddle over to the hole and fall in I added a couple different things in it. I started off with him waddling over to the hole and he looks down into it. As he is looking into it i made another penguin jump from off the screen over him into the hole. The first penguin looks around him confused and then jumps into the hole himself. I also put another little penguin behind a tree in the distance that comes out flaps his wings and then runs off screen. It took me awhile to get the hole in the ice to show up. I worked on that for about 20 minutes until I realized all I have to do is change the opacity of the frozen pond to be more see through. Creating animations is actually pretty fun to do it takes alot of patience though. And alot of trial and error to get the movements right.

Old
lucyrn99

Default 09-08-2016, 04:29 PM

Hi Kirk,

It's always a great feeling when you can figure out your programming issue on your own - glad you saw how to fix the opacity of the ice.
I had a similar issue, where I was trying to figure out how to make the sky in my scene darker.. couldn't see where the setting was, then found it in the 'properties' tab.

Can't wait to learn how to create our own characters/objects!

Objects in Alice
Old
Mauricio

Default Objects in Alice - 09-10-2016, 02:23 PM

Kirk

Trial and error is exactly right, I created the helicopter project and I had to delete and restart it at least twice. Once I got the layout how I wanted, then I had to figure how to make the helicopter circle, the book did mention that in order to get the helicopter to do a circle you have to use the move and turn method, but I had to figure how much to move forward and turn combination to get it to turn smoothly. Also I had to play with the camera a bit so that when the helicopter took off the camera would follow as well as when it landed. It was fun and I love the fact that you can see the results of a project right away, check how it behaves and make changes if necessary all at the same time.