Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Contests

Alice World Template Contest
Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default Alice World Template Contest - 11-05-2011, 06:12 PM

As is my motto, "The leap towards quality has an infinite budget," I made a some apparently 12MB template world for the ocean, because it's easy to make one for a landscape that is realistically and naturally spread ad infinitum.

Now, what I want you to do is make a high quality template world. I don't care what's in it, it can be as filled as an entire city, or as empty as my world up there. The idea is that there are no methods or events, just a world to be built upon.
To be perfectly fair, I will not participate in this event, though I may show an example of a good template.
Tips:
-Your sky ought to be a third or more of the world's weight. A plain blue sky makes your world look extremely unrealistic.
-Your terrain is actually quite hard to do. You may find it excruciatingly hard to find a terrain that tiles well and doesn't actually look procedural, as in an easily noticeable pattern.
-It's easy to use existing Alice objects but I urge you not to. These objects were realistic back in 1998, and the bar for realism has noticeably risen ever since.
-If you use high budget singular objects, you may notice it takes an extremely long time to save your world in Alice. My Ocean world takes almost half an hour on the sky alone. It's worthy to note that using an external program, such as WinRAR, to save your world as a .ZIP and rename to .A2W will take less time and save more space.

Prize Information:
I don't know. I hadn't actually been thinking about this, but the best I could provide is a 3D model of your choice, converted or created by me as an ACO (Alice Compatible Object) or otherwise.
We can decide the deadline later. In all realism I'd give you a few months.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Ocean.a2w (12.04 MB, 60 views)

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 11-05-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Awesome!
Old
zero00

Default Awesome! - 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM

Great ocean world!
I especially like the sky! It looks beautiful...and expensive (memory-wise)!
Where did you find the Sky model and texture?

I was going to submit an improved version of my Space Shooter Template, but your contest says no methods or events

==============Some of my Games and Ideas===========

Sky Warrior: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6291
Health Bars: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36968#post36968
Sky Warrior: Dual Force: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7174

Want to make your own space game? http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6389

Last edited by zero00; 11-06-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 11-06-2011, 01:42 AM

Perhaps I should rephrase that. You can have methods or events, but not any that are supposed to actually do things. For example, in my Ocean world I was thinking about creating "Water Fog", as Crytek calls it. Simply put, when you go underwater there is a layer of blurred color in front of you that gives you the illusion that you're underwater. I would set this layer of color in front of the camera when it reaches a certain distance, however force the fog layer to stop moving before it exits the water. Otherwise I can have an "Occlusion" solid shape, in which I abuse transparency glitches to make sure the fog layer doesn't show outside of the water.

For the sky you can simply google HDR Panoramic Skies. They're very expensive, but I imagine if you're lucky you can find a good amount of usable ones for free. You're going to have to make the skydome yourself, however.

Old
sfunk

Default 11-06-2011, 02:56 AM

That looks very well done, the viscosity of the water looks a little to much, sort of like paint, but other than that, Amazingly well done.

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 11-06-2011, 05:54 AM

I would submit:

Jedi's Nature scene.

My Jungle Warfare scene.

My Realistic Sea scene.

And my templates I use (they don't have skies, but they are templates):
Attached Files
File Type: a2w concrete.a2w (529.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: a2w cracked.a2w (528.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: a2w dirt.a2w (143.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: a2w forest.a2w (321.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: a2w grass.a2w (392.0 KB, 26 views)

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Continued:
Attached Files
File Type: a2w lava.a2w (633.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: a2w sand.a2w (606.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: a2w sea.a2w (362.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: a2w snow.a2w (149.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: a2w water.a2w (155.8 KB, 20 views)

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 11-06-2011, 05:57 AM

Continued again:
Attached Files
File Type: a2w space.a2w (513.8 KB, 27 views)

Old
jediaction

Default 11-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Nice. I actually have just Arty's. He used some of my places anyway. The one I did create is an "FPS" starter world.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Hah, the reason my ocean scene looks somewhat fudged is because it's an old version. The newest version, which contains water fog and an ocean floor, is on my "Boss Rig" computer, which as of yesterday has a dying power supply.

Jedi :
Your nature scene is excellent, however I would suggest you look over your converted palm trees. A few of them have only one-sided textures and in others, they have a transparency glitch so nothing behind them shows up.
I would also suggest you remove some of the low detail vegetation, such as the Alice palms. It's like seeing Pac-Man in BF3.

ArtyFish-L:
In your Realistic Sea scene, I trialed the exact same water texture. However, I noticed that it would only work if specularity and normal maps were working. You seem to have done a nice job on the horizon. The only thing I would suggest is that to make the camera not-stationary, you can use distance clouds instead of the ones you use now. Distance clouds are 2D clouds meant to be placed far higher than the player could possibly move, and because of this can make a scene extremely realistic, provided you use realistic distance clouds. You can also use an HDR Panoramic Skydome in conjunction with these clouds so that you don't have to place quite as many.

The link to your jungle warfare scene is dead, so based on the screenshot I'll say you ought to replace the Alice Fire with a rising smoke pattern. Smoke, unlike this fire, is better at making the illusion that it is 3D. For an example of this, Masahiro Ushiyama at 1:37. I will note that instead of 2D smoke, he is using particles to simulate the vapor trail, however the principle is the same.
Your grass texture is good. I cannot see a pattern and it tiles very well. If someone imported some vegetation as well as wild grasses I bet they'd be able to make something nice.

Your concrete is bad. It's not tileable and the pattern can be easily seen.
Your dirt tiles, but the pattern is noticeable. Textures of this type can be fixed by adding lots of brush to distract from the ground.

If your cracked ground was tileable, I would have been fooled to think that the ground had poly depth. If you can make this tileable I expect you'll be able to make a very good desert scene.

I suspect your forest tile will make a very nice scene once the pattern is covered by brush... and trees. It will also be noticeably better if you work with realistic brush rather than cartoony brush.

Aagh, untileable lava. For the sky, you can use Photoshop to turn a regular HDR Sky from blue-white to reddish-black to simulate the ash clouds and excess metal in the atmosphere.

Good choice in snow. I can see the pattern but that's fine. A good use of this scene is a snowy alpine mountainscape. The sky color you chose is also good, the horizon seems blurred.

Sea's not tileable, I also see evidence of the need of a specularity and bump map.

Your sand isn't tileable, also even if it were there's too many defining objects that give it an extremely obvious pattern. When you look for a terrain, you want something that, besides being tileable, has very few major details so that you can't look at a spot and recognize which part of the tile it is.

I also trialed this exact same water texture. I thought it didn't look very much like water, especially without the other two maps.

Your space (moon?) scene's ground texture lacks tileability and has that pattern. Personally, I don't think it would work well as a rocky surface even if it were tileable without a pattern. Perhaps it would do good as a castle wall or a cliff wall.

ArtyFish's best scene IMO was the snow scene. Despite how I could see a pattern, the rest of the scene's parameters were altered to be very convincing.

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 11-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 11-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I haven't updated that it many many months...so...thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt I will change it.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames