Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Assign3
Old
kaufill

Cool Assign3 - 12-24-2015, 06:40 PM

My biggest challenge with this assignment was simply creating the combination of methods that made the objects do what I wanted! I would think "I need the pharaoh's arm to move this way" and soon realized it took multiple "turn"s and "roll"s to make what I thought was a simple move. Other than taking me a while to make it look how I wanted, I didn't have problems with this assignment.

I decided to have my mummy dragging his right leg, because I decided he had been dead a long time and that leg did not work anymore. That way I only had to animate one leg walking in the "step" method. He would drag his body forward, then hop to re-position his left foot. Then, when he fell backward, his useless leg just crumpled underneath him.

Old
Shannon Gallentine

Default 12-24-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufill View Post
My biggest challenge with this assignment was simply creating the combination of methods that made the objects do what I wanted! I would think "I need the pharaoh's arm to move this way" and soon realized it took multiple "turn"s and "roll"s to make what I thought was a simple move. Other than taking me a while to make it look how I wanted, I didn't have problems with this assignment.

I decided to have my mummy dragging his right leg, because I decided he had been dead a long time and that leg did not work anymore. That way I only had to animate one leg walking in the "step" method. He would drag his body forward, then hop to re-position his left foot. Then, when he fell backward, his useless leg just crumpled underneath him.
I had the same problem. I thought maybe the Pharaoh could be double jointed. The Mummy posed an interesting problem, I was able to get the mummy to move but his pelvis was not connected. Ha!
Good times!
Shannon

Old
kaufill

Default 12-25-2015, 06:39 PM

That sounds like my chicken with its legs walking away from its body!

Old
willy0227

Default 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM

I noticed the same issue with the mommy's pelvis! I thought it was odd that it was separate but didn't have any methods to control it. I ended up moving the legs as the whole body moved forward. Captured the look I was going for.

Put it back where you found it.
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default Put it back where you found it. - 07-16-2016, 05:16 AM

An object like the mummy is made up of sub objects. In general a sub object can be turned or rotated without a problem but if it is moved, it detaches from its parent object and, unless the subpart is moved back it, becomes detached from its parent.
In many cases you can get what you want by moving the whole object together with Turning or rotating the subpart, but if you move the subpart you must "unmove" it or it will detach. Note that if the parent is moved, the detached subpart still moves with it and so continues to look detached.

Experimenting is great keep it up!
Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org