Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

merging objects or worlds
Old
ecomino

Default merging objects or worlds - 10-28-2009, 09:47 AM

I have a group of Girl Scouts that are just starting to work with ALICE,
after they start creating their objects in their worlds, is there a way for me to merge what they have created? Take an object and its events in one world created by one user, and merge it into another world, with its own objects and events? What Im after is to create a group collaborative final "movie" of the events/objects the girls create individually, so that they can see it all together.

Is this possible, maybe under an import world, or import object type of feature?

Merging objects or worlds
Old
lanceA

Default Merging objects or worlds - 10-28-2009, 11:31 AM

Unfortunately you can not import worlds into Alice, you can only import objects.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM

That's not quite right. I found an interesting way to import other worlds into Alice. I explained it like this:

-First create the model. I recommend deleting the parts of the model you don't need (the ones that aren't connected to parts you need for your merged model, if youneed them all, then ignore this) to shrink the file down. Make sure the all necessary objects are properly vehicled to the the main object (the one you use to move the merged model).

-Delete the ground, the light, and the camera (it will tell you not to delete the camera, ignore this) and rename the world object "world2."

-Save the file as a .a2w file, then copy it

-Change the extension of the copy of the .a2w file to .a2c (see what we're doing here? We're going to fool Alice into thinking that the whole world is a class object)

-Import it into the world in which you'd like the model to be in. You should see a new object called world2 and all of your objects underneath it.

-Drag each object from underneath the world2 object to just above it so that they are with the other objects in the main world. As you do, you should notice that as you place an object properly, it suddenly appears in the main world.

-Make sure to change any vehicles from world2 to the entire world

-Finally, delete the (now empty) world2 object and save your main world. The model(s) with all vehicles, properties, and placements should be there

The original post is here:

Importing Worlds in Alice

If you're asking if the movie thing can be done, yes it can, but you'll have to have the girls write methods which are saved to the objects, not the world, and those methods will have to avoid referring to any object but itself (technically this is optional, as importing a method with an outside reference can be done, but you have to set that reference's value to <none> when you first import it, and then change it back when you import the object it refers to).

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 12-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Old
GoGators

Location: In a house in a city in a state in a continent in a planet in a galaxy
Default 07-02-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
That's not quite right. I found an interesting way to import other worlds into Alice. I explained it like this:

-First create the model. I recommend deleting the parts of the model you don't need (the ones that aren't connected to parts you need for your merged model, if youneed them all, then ignore this) to shrink the file down. Make sure the all necessary objects are properly vehicled to the the main object (the one you use to move the merged model).

-Delete the ground, the light, and the camera (it will tell you not to delete the camera, ignore this) and rename the world object "world2."

-Save the file as a .a2w file, then copy it

-Change the extension of the copy of the .a2w file to .a2c (see what we're doing here? We're going to fool Alice into thinking that the whole world is a class object)

-Import it into the world in which you'd like the model to be in. You should see a new object called world2 and all of your objects underneath it.

-Drag each object from underneath the world2 object to just above it so that they are with the other objects in the main world. As you do, you should notice that as you place an object properly, it suddenly appears in the main world.

-Make sure to change any vehicles from world2 to the entire world

-Finally, delete the (now empty) world2 object and save your main world. The model(s) with all vehicles, properties, and placements should be there

The original post is here:

Importing Worlds in Alice

If you're asking if the movie thing can be done, yes it can, but you'll have to have the girls write methods which are saved to the objects, not the world, and those methods will have to avoid referring to any object but itself (technically this is optional, as importing a method with an outside reference can be done, but you have to set that reference's value to <none> when you first import it, and then change it back when you import the object it refers to).
Wow! what can i say I am speechless
  Send a message via Yahoo to GoGators  
Old
Journeyman

Default 07-05-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
Unfortunately you can not import worlds into Alice, you can only import objects.
That seems amusingly impossible... In what other sources of media would there even BE an option to import a world into another world lol?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
That seems amusingly impossible... In what other sources of media would there even BE an option to import a world into another world lol?
So wait...are you saying that it's obvious there wouldn't be a built-in option to import a world, or are you saying that the concept of importing a world into another world is amusingly impossible?

Neither really make sense. The option to import and merge documents of the same type is present in many programs (case and point: pretty much everything in Microsoft Office). And we already know that it's possible to import world into other worlds with some data doodling.

So what exactly was your point? (No offense or anything, I just felt it was unclear. I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run, though.)

Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default 07-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Well, Me thinking this means that levels could be based of this if we could somehow crack alice to do real time creation of objects or maybe just an import script through jython, yeah lets try that it may just be easier.

Old
ConnieBarcode

Default 12-07-2012, 01:11 AM

Come on! It may impossible. We should believe.

Importing worlds
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default Importing worlds - 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Alice 2 does allow you to import objects that have been saved from other worlds, but remember that if these objects have references to other objects that are not present in the importing world, Alice will warn you and kill those references.

Cutting and pasting text from one document to another is relatively straight forward, as these are autonomous units, with very few expected dependencies that have to be accounted for. An Alice project is highly interdependent, and trying to bring one world into another is asking Alice to make decisions about object relationships that it is not equipped to handle.

To import one world into another asks Alice to resolve a myriad of problems (which camera position should take precedence, what happens when you have objects from the different worlds using the same names, which happens a lot as users generally use the default names when creating objects, sound and image files of the same name, when should the different actions be executed and in what order?).

What you really want is the ability to import different scenes into the same project. Storytelling Alice tried to implement this feature, with only limited success. We are working vary hard in Alice 3 to make this happen, and as the system is being designed from the ground up with this in mind, we expect to be much more successful.

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Wink 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Shouldn't this be designed from the world down?

Tags
import, merge, object, world