Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

My fun night with the pharoh
Old
wowens

Default My fun night with the pharoh - 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM

I created an egypt world with alice from one of the examples in my text book. I could not figure out how to do a set pose so I pieced together the ugliest steps ever. I think I prefer Visual studio lol.

William Owens

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-12-2012, 10:51 AM

If you know how to use Visual Studio, you're already too advanced for simple assignments in Alice. More advanced things, like scripting and hacking, can be done (arty's living proof of that), but most people move on to more flexible, mainstream options (like Visual Studio) instead.

(')>

Old
groundhound

Default 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM

The penguin with a gun is right, if you know Visual Studio you're going to be a bit stifled with ALICE's featureset. Word of advice, don't focus as much on the animation aspect, try and find inventive new ways to code the assignment.

For example, say you had to code a program that makes a character sing a silly song. Instead of bothering with lip-synch, you'd want to set up a method or two to make the song reuse as much code as possible. Maybe you can figure out a way to make the chorus contained completely in one method that is called when needed. After that, try to compact the verses into a modular method that uses paramaters to sing different lines each time it's called. That way you have a lot less typing, or rather drag-and-dropping, ahead of you.

I will give ALICE credit for this, drag-and-dropping code makes me want to write as little of it as possible, and being unable to easily copy/paste large groups of statements makes you think well ahead of time about what you're going to write. So, it's forcing you to think, always a silver lining!

P.S. Set Pose is a pain in the butt, but useful when you get it right. You need to move the object's parts into the position you want, then right click the root object instance in the object tree in the upper left corner of your screen. Then select "capture pose". The pose will show up in the "properties" tab of the object's details window. Right click the pose and rename it.

After all that, you can now use that pose in your methods by selecting the "set pose" method for the object you made the pose for!

P.P.S Make sure you don't set the pose of a sub-object, then call it as a root-object pose. That will crash ALICE. To be safe, just make sure you always select your root object when you "capture pose".

Old
arty-fishL

Default 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhound View Post
The penguin with a gun is right
Almost everybody is "the penguin with a gun" now .

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬