Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Alice 3 is now in public beta
Old
gabe
Administrator

Default Alice 3 is now in public beta - 06-01-2009, 10:09 AM

You can download it here:

http://alice.org/3

It's still in heavy development, so please embrace it as a work-in-progress.

**6/10/09**
We currently have builds up for Mac OS X 10.5+ and Windows (32 bit). We are working on a version for Linux and 64 bit Windows.

Also, the NetBeans plugin is now available for download. This will let you import your Alice 3 worlds into the NetBeans IDE for editing and playback.

I dont like it
Old
arty-fishL

Unhappy I dont like it - 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM

I was good at programming in Alice 2, but Alice 3 is totally different. I don't understand the words, can't make anything work, and keep getting rendering errors when I try to do some things. How do you add events? what do the words used mean? I can't make the objects do as much, as there doesn't seem to be as many methods/procedures. I managed to work out how to move objects properly (using 1,2,3 and 4 buttons on keyboard), but it wasn't obvious. I can't find as much information on the objects as before, under properties, and if I try to change some of them I get a red preview screen saying "error in attempting to render screen". I don't know how to add variables or parameters, either in the single methods/procedures, or globally. I can select parts of objects to do procedures, but it is hard to find them and they are orginised into short names that make no sense. I much prefer Alice 2.2! There is no help as of yet!
On the other hand; Alice 3 looks much cleaner, plays much cleaner, works smoother and looks good with Sims 2 technology integrated, but the character movement list is very long, but I can't specify exactly what I want my person to do.
It seems quite complicated and I know nothing about Java code, I can only use Alice code. I have a whole new language to learn, just to use this program

Last edited by arty-fishL; 06-01-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: I wrote it wrong

Not Ready for Prime Time
Old
MrMoke

Default Not Ready for Prime Time - 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Yeah, at some point you will probably have to start learning Java and OOP terminology.

This Beta, however, is not something I would want to start using in the classroom any time soon. I was hoping for a switch to 3.0 by next Fall, but I don't see that happening.

A simple manual might be helpful. I figured out where most of the stuff lives, but I may have missed a few things.

Some Things like: If you create a custom character that can do all the neat preprogrammed things, how do you teach it to do something it can't, like walk?

Also, I loaded it on a Vista machine. It was extremely crash-prone; I couldn't get anything done. Will try to follow-up with Windows XP testing this summer, but?

Last edited by MrMoke; 06-02-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Update

doudou likes it
Old
doudou

Default doudou likes it - 06-02-2009, 08:30 AM

There are a lot of full body outfit

Old
HisWorld

Default 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM

This is great, I'm guessing the release follows the backup plan if a final version could not be completed by this summer. I had the original beta version released in Feb. but ran into multiple error's on any and ever action.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoke View Post
This Beta, however, is not something I would want to start using in the classroom any time soon.

Also, I loaded it on a Vista machine. It was extremely crash-prone; I couldn't get anything done. Will try to follow-up with Windows XP testing this summer, but?
After my problems with 2.2, I didn't even bother to try with Vista - just went directly to my XP machine. It loaded relatively smoothly and has been relatively bug free so far. (It is still obviously Beta software.)

As far as classroom use goes - don't want to really comment in any detail since I'm not a teacher, but I would be interested in other opinions. I note that the current summer workshops are specifically covering Alice 2.2 and 3.0.

Based on a first look, it appears that some of the "easy" things you can do in 2.x are going to require a bit higher understanding of Java in 3.0. Not a bad thing for CS majors (to claim 2.0 is a really good way to teach OOP has always seemed a bit of a stretch) - but that might also be a bit of a "turn off" for an introductory course.

Old
Phanatic

Default 06-03-2009, 07:01 PM

this is very very different, its def smoother but i have no idea whats going on

NetBeans Plugin For Alice 3.0 Beta
Old
lanceA

Default NetBeans Plugin For Alice 3.0 Beta - 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Where do you get the plug-in module allowing NetBeans to edit Alice worlds? Dennis mentions it in his Alice Screencast.

I've been on NetBeans.org site and Sun's site and I am unable to locate it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by lanceA; 06-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Array Vizualisation
Old
jyby

Smile Array Vizualisation - 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Heya all.

Downloaded and install Alice 3.0 Beta under a tablet PC with XP on it, it works great, and I like the new interfave, I will continue to test it.

I noticed the disapearance of the "Array Visualisation" object that I liked so much in Alice 2.0. Is it still planned (I can wait) or did it really disapear from the cursus (they maybe I will plan to do my own in Java when I get the time)?

Good work in any case,

JyBy

Old
larslem

Default 06-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Seems like Alice is now a project under Sun's Project Kenai. And Netbeans latest version introduces integration with this Project Kenai. Read under Release Overview. I haven't had the time to test it, but I'm going to.

Lars