Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Which robotics kits can be programmed with Alice?
Old
ne0phyte

Default Which robotics kits can be programmed with Alice? - 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Hi,

My grade school son is interested in robotics and programming and I would like to get him started with a simple project. Can anyone suggest an entry level robotics kit that I can get for around $100 that can be programmed with Alice. Thanks in advance.

Response
Old
xXMASTERCHIEFXx

Smile Response - 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM

I have searched around and found several however the price range of these are almost double... however you may be able to find a cheaper one whose programs may need to be converted to work with alice. Hey if you can get it to work that would be cool considering you can make a 3-d version of things in real life!!!

Old
ne0phyte

Default 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Hi MASTERCHIEF,

Thanks for your help. BTW, can you name some of the kits that you found that can be programmed with Alice. I found one called Scribbler Robot from Parallax thats selling for $99.99 at Trossen Robotics. Sweet Spot!!

It's programmed in PBASIC though. You mentioned converting the code to Alice. How do I do this? Hope you can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Old
dragnet

Default 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM

I would be interested in knowing what kits can be programmed using Alice as well.

Thanks.

Some robots to check out.
Old
xXMASTERCHIEFXx

Default Some robots to check out. - 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Microbric VIPER, or like you said the Scribbler. I also believe that the lego robots would work however you may half to convert the files... Hey if you get one that works let me know that sounds cool.

Old
ne0phyte

Default 03-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Hi MASTERCHIEF and dragnet,

The University of Alabama is working on such a project - google 'University of Alabama alice robots'. They've developed a robot simulator called PREOP based on Alice that interfaces with an iRobot Create.