Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How did the chicken get through the maze?
Old
Ash Is Exasperated

Unhappy How did the chicken get through the maze? - 05-23-2008, 04:40 AM

Hi, I am playing with Alice, trying to make my first basic game. I have worked through the demos and some of the basic tutorials but I am having unusual trouble making a simple maze game.

I have attached a screenshot to show exactly what I have done, and it's very basic stuff.

I'd like someone to explain to me why it doesn't work - why can't I navigate this chicken through the maze. Basically I have enabled arrow keys to control said chicken - this works; then I have told Alice that when the chicken is within 1m to move it away. It does nothing of the sort. And I have read here that on OSX there is no collision detection..... I am as indicated: exasperated. Can someone help me out please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chicken Problem Screenshot.jpg (70.5 KB, 126 views)

Old
DrJim

Default 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Basically the command you show will only move the chicken "away" from the maze when it is within one meter of the center of the maze.

For more details, I suggest you either look at Dick Baldwin's tutorials or, if you have one of the texts, at the descriptions of moving relative to objects. I don't have a copy of the Dunn, et al, text handy but remember it had a quite good example involving a boat and a lighthous.