Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Default 12-18-2006, 09:09 AM

Huh.... looks like me in the morning.

At least I found something useful for once... SWEET!

Old
DrJim

Default 12-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Sovereign View Post
Huh.... looks like me in the morning.
A bit of a scary thought.

Old
ChyTheTasmanianTiger

Default 10-14-2007, 08:03 AM

Saving Multiple Basic Shapes as one Cool No I Can Save My Bazooka, Grenade, ect.

Shapes Missing
Old
DrJim

Default Shapes Missing - 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChyTheTasmanianTiger View Post
Saving Multiple Basic Shapes as one Cool No I Can Save My Bazooka, Grenade, ect.
Looks like all the attachments for the earlier postings have disappeared. Had read about some server problems but didn't pay attention to the details. Whatever the problem was, I can't upload anything right now.

Anyway, you can do what you want but you'll have to create your own basic shapes and convert them to .ase format for inport (with external programs) since the ones I provided seem to have gotten lost. If you import .a2c files, they just go in as regular "world" objects.

When the server gets fixed, if the "simple shape" file isn't recovered, I'll upload the shapes again.

Old
islandfever

Default 10-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Awe man... I really want to see the pics...

By the way, is that software you mentioned for making the objects... free ???? I'm on a tight budget, being in middle school. lol

Free software
Old
DrJim

Default Free software - 10-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Most of the software is free - unfortunately also most of the stuff related to Alice is in attachments that can't be accessed now. Anim8or and Wings 3D are two good programs, but both require Biturn to get to .ase format. You can do searches for them on the Internet.

One program that will give you .ase files directly is 4D Blue, http://4dblue.com/ . Wouldn't recommed it for beginners in general (nor do I use it much) - it's pretty high level. But for just simple shapes, it's probably the quickest and has lots of built-in shapes.

Old
islandfever

Thumbs up 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
But for just simple shapes, it's probably the quickest and has lots of built-in shapes.
Cool, thanks! I can try that out sometime, as long as I'm just making the simple shapes.

Is this really the only way?
Old
JeremyShafer

Default Is this really the only way? - 07-08-2008, 10:24 PM

Hi,
Been banging my head against this... is this importing an ASE file really the only way?

I've been looking at trying to exploit the vehicle property to get two Alice objects to move together... works fine, I just can't save the two objects as a composite object.

I can, of course, save a world with multiple objects... and I tinkered with the idea of trying to convert a world (a2w) to a class (a2c)

No luck. I am thinking I am stuck with this approach. Not so good for me as I wanted to really rely on the alice objects that where already there.

--Jeremy

What does NURBS mean?
Old
JeremyShafer

Default What does NURBS mean? - 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Just curious

Old
DrJim

Default 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyShafer View Post
... is this importing an ASE file really the only way?
It's the only way I've ever been able to get to work - and then it only joins the hierarchy when it is imported as a "texture".

There is a posting somewhere in the forum on actually manually editing the .a2c file. I've tried that a bit - with a little success - but it's really quite difficult.

Also, a NURBS is a "Non-uniform rational B-spline" - which is the most common generalization of the original Bezier curve concept. It's what you work with in Adobe Illustrator, etc. Wiki has a good article on the subject (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurbs ) - but basically a NURBS is a line segment that is defined not only by its end points but also by the derivatives of the line at these points (the typical "handles" when you enter a spline).

By the way, the interior region of a closed loop of NURBS's is often referred to as a NURBS surface.