Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Help Help Help Help Help
Old
Chris101b

Default Help Help Help Help Help - 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

I have been working on this game for over 6 weeks now, and the very first thing I put in was being able to walk around. Now, out of the blue. I can walk backwards, turn left and right, but when I press forward, the character strafes to the left. I have been working too long and too hard for my game to be ruined because of a simple navigation glitch. Does anyone know what is going on and please, please, please tell me how to fix it. Thank you.

Old
DrJim

Default 10-19-2007, 07:07 PM

This is just a guess, but I suspect you didn't define a firm starting position for the world. Hence, the world will start with objects placed - and oriented - where you last left them. Especially for orientation changes, this is not always easy to spot.

The best thing to do is place each critical object exactly where you want it and then drop a dummy object - which will fix both the place and orientation. Then when you start the world, set each objects orientation to the appropriate dummy and you will always start from a known configuration.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 10-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
The best thing to do is place each critical object exactly where you want it and then drop a dummy object - which will fix both the place and orientation. Then when you start the world, set each objects orientation to the appropriate dummy and you will always start from a known configuration.
Hello Chris101b
Just in case you don't know about dummy objects and such, I describe a different approach to accomplishing what DrJim suggests at http://www.dickbaldwin.com/alice/Alice0125.htm Go to that lesson and read about writing program code to set the stage at the beginning of your program.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 10-19-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Correct typing errors.

Old
Chris101b

Default 10-21-2007, 01:38 AM

But it has been working for almost 6 weeks now. Just a couple of days ago, it started doing it. Since I am at home, i wont be able to work on it since our computer is not fast enough to handle the game, but when I go back to school, I will try that. The only problem is that I have soooooooo many objects, that it will take forever to fix. But I will have to work on it.

Old
Chris101b

Default 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Okay, I finally figured out how fix it. I put a dummy in place of the camera and I switched all of the things that happen to the camera so that it would happen to the dummy. Then I vehicled the camera to the dummy. So everything that would have happened to the camera is now happening to the dummy, and the camera is vehicled to the dummy. But unfortunately, I made a huge sacrifice to fix the problem. Now, there is no collision detection at all. In the version that worked, you could not walk through walls if you were running straight at it, but you could walk through it backwards. But now, you can walk through any wall anywhere at anytime. So, when the game comes out, please, just pretend that the walls are solid and you cant walk through them. If you wander out of the map by accident, just walk back in. This game is practically done, but I have to add health to the player. Well, really, there wont be health for the player because every enemy you encounter will have a devastating effect if it hits you. Pretty much, getting hit once equals death in this game. Just use rolling to the left and right at the right moments. The game might be out tomorrow or day after tomorrow if the uploading is working again.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101b View Post
The game might be out tomorrow or day after tomorrow if the uploading is working again.
If forum uploading isn't working, you may be able to find a free upload site where you can deposit the file and then post the URL on the forum.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm