Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
jediaction

Default 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcccpctutor View Post
Sorry about the long delay with replying back.

I have a print screen of the incident. If there is a way to send an attachment and you would like to see for yourself, please let me know.

Last night, after I got home, I was going to show my wife one of the worlds I made. I hit play and the error message popped up. The view was black when I looked up.

"A error has occured in attempting to draw the scene. Simply retrying might fix the problem. "Retry" and "Give up"

I knew better to try and used the Task Manager to stop the program. There was not a "Not Responding" message, but did see "Running" under the "Status" column.

As I mentioned, in my previous post, I did not have a problem, not one problem, with Alice at my job site. (I am a professional tutor, at my local community college. I tutor in Alice, Programming Design and Logic, and other computer subjects. I work on Alice between students.)

I was there from 8:30 to around 4:45. The program, at times, sat idle (not used) for at least an hour +/- throughout the day. When I went back to Alice, the program ran without any error messages.

The problems only happens at home. I would open a new world at home and save it instantly and received an error message right before or right after the saving would begin or finish. I do not recall the message for this one, but I know I'll see it again some time today. I do not tutor on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

I'll keep track of the error messages I receive today and will post the results later this afternoon or early evening.

Let me know if you, or anyone else, would like info about my pc and the other applications.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

Im sorry to say, this has happened to me many times and this is not something you can fix,

There are options but if these dont work, the program will nto work

1.Move the file to a different location
2.Redownload Alice to a different location (do if only needed)

I am trying ot think of any other solutions that i know so if you try the ones above and they dont work. Please tell me. If they work, then just tell me anyway

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time
Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
When you post again, scroll down blow the text area. There will be a button called "Manage Attachments" which will let you post pictures, zip files, and .doc files (and .a2w files of course).

Post your world as well if you'd like, so I can see if there's a specific error I can fix.
Thanks x2495iiii,

Attached is the print screen and a world created from an assignment in Tony Gaddis book "Starting Out with Alice". I added a few objects and methods of my own for experience.

There is no Rhythm or Reason for the errors messages to pop-up. They have happened in all of my worlds. I can't pinpoint anything I've done, consistently, to cause the error messages.

I have several Alice programs copied to my flash. I don't know how this happened, but I may not have used the same one when starting Alice each time.

I have several copies on my flash, which I use at the school, since the school frowns on copying programs onto their computers. I save the worlds, on my flash.

I have several Alice (.exe) programs, on my flash and in different folders. Would using different ones each time cause problems? I will, however, move the excess to my hard drive.

One of the assignment is to move 4 chairs on up off the table, sweep all around the floor, and put the chairs back down. I have that problem already figured out.

The assignment does not tell how the broom should sweep, other than around the table. What I would like to do, is make the broom sweep at an angle; as if someone is holding the top part and with the other hand moving the broom sideways of the floor. I saw a few possibilities, but nothing written in stone. Is this even possible?

Will check my messages later tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retry_Give-Up Error.JPG (57.9 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip animation backed up on Feb 15 2010 at 4h41m17s PM.zip (4.21 MB, 1 views)

Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Hi jediaction,

I posted a reply to x2495iiii reply.

I don't know if everyone can download the attachments or just the one replied to, so I'll send them again.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retry_Give-Up Error.JPG (57.9 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip animation backed up on Feb 15 2010 at 4h41m17s PM.zip (4.21 MB, 2 views)

Old
jediaction

Default 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks x2495iiii,

Attached is the print screen and a world created from an assignment in Tony Gaddis book "Starting Out with Alice". I added a few objects and methods of my own for experience.

There is no Rhythm or Reason for the errors messages to pop-up. They have happened in all of my worlds. I can't pinpoint anything I've done, consistently, to cause the error messages.

I have several Alice programs copied to my flash. I don't know how this happened, but I may not have used the same one when starting Alice each time.

I have several copies on my flash, which I use at the school, since the school frowns on copying programs onto their computers. I save the worlds, on my flash.

I have several Alice (.exe) programs, on my flash and in different folders. Would using different ones each time cause problems? I will, however, move the excess to my hard drive.

One of the assignment is to move 4 chairs on up off the table, sweep all around the floor, and put the chairs back down. I have that problem already figured out.

The assignment does not tell how the broom should sweep, other than around the table. What I would like to do, is make the broom sweep at an angle; as if someone is holding the top part and with the other hand moving the broom sideways of the floor. I saw a few possibilities, but nothing written in stone. Is this even possible?

Will check my messages later tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor
Well what operating system are you using? If yoru using two different operating systems, then that can raise the chance of program failure

Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Well what operating system are you using? If yoru using two different operating systems, then that can raise the chance of program failure
I have the Vista Business, at home, and the school has, I believe, the Vista Enterprise version.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2010, 11:46 PM

Yeah that's a weird one. You can try re-installing Alice entirely, as that's the kind of weird bug that sometimes comes up when Alice doesn't install properly.

By the way, you said you'd retried already with that error. How many times had you retried? I don't know about you or jediaction, but when I leave my computer inactive for awhile, power-saving measures take effect. Often, these measures interfere with Alice's display methods, which makes that error pop up. Now, when this happens to me on my laptop, I have to click retry about 6 to 8 times before it lets me access the scripting area, then a few more times when I click the Play button for the Alice world to play. So yes, clicking retry DOES work. Clicking Give Up only gets rid of the error message so you can restart Alice, so it's really only a good idea if you're absolutely sure Retry won't work for you.

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I have the Vista Business, at home, and the school has, I believe, the Vista Enterprise version.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

2 different versions of Vista could do something and x2495iiii when i click retry 100 times it does not work. Its just what the cause is