Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
Dameria

Default 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM

Wait a sec... so you are saying that it is actually possible to have a multiplayer game on Alice? By what you are saying, it sounds only like you can load scripts from what is saved on your computer, how can you set up a server online using Alice?

Does this mean that we could possibly create multiplayer games, like shooters, where we would all log into a server through Alice and be able to play against one another? How are you planning on sending a constant stream of information on the other person's computer as you play with them? Well anyway, if you do figure out how to get that part done, I would be glad to help with the game itself, I would just have to learn how the multiplayer works in order to write the methods.

Check out my best projects so far and please comment:

Tic-Tac-Toe 2.0 ................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3548
Alice Paint ........................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=23408
Real-Time Clock .................. http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=12725
Maze Game ......................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4301

Last edited by Dameria; 02-15-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Ahh... You see
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Ahh... You see - 02-16-2010, 12:23 AM

You right there just stated the entire problem I have been looking into. I think I will be able to do it because my previous statement of worlds can interact. I will probably make a quick script tonight with a game of checkers showing how it is posible to make multiplayer withough streaming. The problem will come when I need to write a stream script. In all odds this project will fail misreabley but I beleieve we we can make this if we work hard enough. And to answer your last question the multiplayer methods are nonexistent. In alice there are scripting capabilities in python, although limited they are there. You need to edit the alice prefrence file to get it though.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameria View Post
Wait a sec... so you are saying that it is actually possible to have a multiplayer game on Alice? By what you are saying, it sounds only like you can load scripts from what is saved on your computer, how can you set up a server online using Alice?

Does this mean that we could possibly create multiplayer games, like shooters, where we would all log into a server through Alice and be able to play against one another? How are you planning on sending a constant stream of information on the other person's computer as you play with them? Well anyway, if you do figure out how to get that part done, I would be glad to help with the game itself, I would just have to learn how the multiplayer works in order to write the methods.
Yah, Hero's ONLINE

Chat with your friends
Use a mic
Battle with many gun textures
Upgrade your player
10 Acheivements
Rank up to level 45

Its a must play game!

Yah that would be sweet but forget the chat part

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Ok advancement
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Talking Ok advancement - 02-16-2010, 12:29 PM

With evryday our goal has seemed to look closer and closer. Each day I hae worked on this I have though of how the scripting can become compatible to a fast passed enviroment. Granted I have not created this script to the point where it is saving data continuisly at a high speed but I know how to now.
I just built two worlds from Zonedabones SAVEGAME world. World one you save the data and world 2 recalls what is saved evry tenth of a second. I added in timestamps to what is printed out so you can see the speed at wich it is recalled. To run this you need to open two copies of alice. the first copy runs the first world and second copy runs the second. You also need to play both of them with them both on the screen. when you are done pause the second world and look at what was printed. Lastly for the game jediaction there better be collision detection on walls because with out that people will just add radars in and go behind a wall and come out when someone is near. Also pertaining to the game is we will need to make a method that checks if the game code was modified.
P.S. I might not of made this post clear, tell me if I didnt
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Alice dual world speed test world 1.a2w (167.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: a2w Alice dual world speed test world 2.a2w (163.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by King Gamer(gorit); 02-16-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something

Old
shaydon

Default 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM

wow this is amazing

Thanks
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Thanks - 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I know it isnt much yet but when we get this going I will have a metod like this operating at around thirty times a second. It was just a small litle program thrown together that proves multiplayer abilities. This will probably become the underlying core of all alice worlds that comunicate with eachother.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gamer(gorit) View Post
With evryday our goal has seemed to look closer and closer. Each day I hae worked on this I have though of how the scripting can become compatible to a fast passed enviroment. Granted I have not created this script to the point where it is saving data continuisly at a high speed but I know how to now.
I just built two worlds from Zonedabones SAVEGAME world. World one you save the data and world 2 recalls what is saved evry tenth of a second. I added in timestamps to what is printed out so you can see the speed at wich it is recalled. To run this you need to open two copies of alice. the first copy runs the first world and second copy runs the second. You also need to play both of them with them both on the screen. when you are done pause the second world and look at what was printed. Lastly for the game jediaction there better be collision detection on walls because with out that people will just add radars in and go behind a wall and come out when someone is near. Also pertaining to the game is we will need to make a method that checks if the game code was modified.
P.S. I might not of made this post clear, tell me if I didnt
in the competition version of Hero's there is collisions. I might use th eone by Dameria i think with the cube and wall. Anyway, this is really good and yes, RADARS WILL BE ADDED!!!!!! THIS WILL BE THE BEST ALCIE GAME EVER

About radars
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Post About radars - 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM

The radars in my opinoin should only show your teamates even if the other people are firing. Also in the need of information while building up to these scripts I was wondering how many players will be in the game at one time??

Old
jediaction

Default 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Lets make it 6. The maps will be small to. Also, have you played Modern Warfare 2 Online. If you did, then ill explain in picture

Sorry, but
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Sorry, but - 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM

I have not played modern warfare, only have an original xbox, and my trusty laptop with a crapy video card, although I have for gigs of ram. Ok but yeah with 6 people this will result in virtually no strain on a network. It will probably take around 1 meg of data every ten to tweenty minutes.
EDIT: Ok, well in the future we can make large maps in several files which will make things easy.