Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Old
arevira

Default 06-22-2009, 12:40 AM

@ lanceA: Hear hear.

@ others:
Like lanceA mentioned a few posts ago, we are "navigating uncharted waters" here. At least in the direction this thread has taken, we are trying to advance our knowledge about Alice3.0 and Java. So far, good old-school hacking have given promising results.

Last edited by arevira; 06-22-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevira View Post
@ lanceA: Hear hear.
@ others:
Like lanceA mentioned a few posts ago, we are "navigating uncharted waters" here. At least in the direction this thread has taken, we are trying to advance our knowledge about Alice3.0 and Java. So far, good old-school hacking have given promising results.
"Hear, Hear" is a little too British for me, but I certainly agree with both you and LanceA. I'm not sure I totally disagree with the "arguing" charge - but hopefully it's a constructive type of arguing. And IMO it's also in the spirit of Alice as a teaching/learning tool - not as a tool to create videos.

Not that Alice 2.0 couldn't do that. I personally did an Alice 2 anaimation that got accepted at a judged, national film festival (it came in third and got nice comments from the judges). Alice 3.0 Beta is NOT at that state - for many reasons including no billboards or user defined lights - and I suspect that some of the advantages Alice 2.x had for doing videos will be permanently sacrificed in Alice 3.0 in favor of enhancing its teaching role. Again, IMO, that's the correct route. Better to do your main task really well than to try to do too many things and leave key issues poorly covered.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
... Environment Variable: - ClassPath.
Just out of curiousity, since there are two different ClassPaths listed in the window (system and user, I think, though I don't have the window open), what exactly is the difference between them - and what do you do if you have multiple users on a single system?

Also, for anyone working with these, remember changes don't happen until after you reboot the system! I lost a couple of hours before I discovered (remembered?) that.

A bug or just my setup?
Old
DrJim

Default A bug or just my setup? - 06-23-2009, 01:24 AM

When I run an Alice 3 project from NetBeans or from the resulting .jar file, the restart button is always grayed out and inoperable (it works fine in Alice 3). Pause/resume and the speed control work fine both in Alice and NetBeans.

Anyone else seen the same thing?

Old
arevira

Default 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
When I run an Alice 3 project from NetBeans or from the resulting .jar file, the restart button is always grayed out and inoperable (it works fine in Alice 3). Pause/resume and the speed control work fine both in Alice and NetBeans.

Yes, I did notice that --have not had the chance to investigate yet, though

Old
arevira

Default 06-23-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, since there are two different ClassPaths listed in the window (system and user, I think, though I don't have the window open), what exactly is the difference between them - and what do you do if you have multiple users on a single system?
My understanding is that environment variables declared at the 'system' level apply to all users. However, if a system variable is also declared at the 'user' level (and it applies to the current logged in user only) its value replaces the one defined at the 'system' level.

Last edited by arevira; 06-23-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grammar, grammar, grammar

Restart only works within the AliceIDE
Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default Restart only works within the AliceIDE - 06-23-2009, 01:19 PM

First of all, let me say I really impressed with how much everyone has been able to figure out. Allow me to apologize for the fact that this is necessary. Keep up the good work.

Quote:

As the title reads: "Restart only works within the AliceIDE".

Hmm... I suppose resetting could be pulled off in the Netbeans/StandAloneJar/Applet context. It would basically entail destroying the current program and starting a new one. I wish java would add a "java.main" system property.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Dennis, as far as I'm concerned I hope you just keep working on the main program and get it past Beta status.

The rest of us can hack away at the NetBeans thing for now. And even with my limited understanding, it's already helped me in one area - expanding the color pallet from the current Alice 3 options.

But thanks for the input - it's really hard, for me at least, to figure out what's really in the program and what I'm just goofing up on.

Since in this case, disabling restart is in the program - it should be easy enough to use a MouseListener to keep itterating a program until I'm actually ready to stop. Seems a lot easier than tearing the current NetBeans plugin apart.

Last edited by DrJim; 06-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Ah Ha, He Says
Old
DrJim

Smile Ah Ha, He Says - 06-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevira View Post
... if a system variable is also declared at the 'user' level (and it applies to the current logged in user only) its value replaces the one defined at the 'system' level.
Thanks. That explains a lot.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
- it should be easy enough to use a MouseListener to keep itterating a program until I'm actually ready to stop ...
I should KNOW NEVER to say something like that - Murphy is always listening.

Needless to say, I've been totally unsuccessful in exporting even the simplest Alice program containing a MouseListener into NetBeans. (I filed a bug report with the details.)

I think it shouldn't be too hard to add the MouseListener in NetBeans, the same way as I did the "Hello World" output in another posting. Unfortunately "Hellow World" is at the high end of my Java programming capabilities right now, so it may be a week or so before I actually try this again. The basic concept does work fine in Alice.