Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Online Documentation?
Old
DickBaldwin

Default Online Documentation? - 03-10-2007, 08:42 AM

Is there an online source that provides a brief description of each of the primitive methods?

Some of the method names are ambiguous when compared with other method names, and the differences in the behavior of the methods isn't always clear from the names.

For example, I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the differences are in the behavior of the pointAt method and the turnToFace method.

So far, the only thing that I have found in the way of Alice documentation consists of a few tutorials and some sample programs. Coming from a heavily Java background with a massive set of hyperlinked API documentation, I feel a little lost regarding Alice documentation.

Thanks,
Dick Baldwin
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 03-10-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Old
madden

Default 03-10-2007, 12:14 PM

DickBaldwin poasted
.................................................. ...............................................
Is there an online source that provides a brief description of each of the primitive methods?
.................................................. ...............................................

Some Alice programers are making an online source, as you mentioned check it out!

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=387

P.S http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdKPLDYKdWU ..........um

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 03-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Dick Baldwin

turn to face and point at
Old
gdev

Default turn to face and point at - 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM

I believe the difference is (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that turn to face just turns until the object is facing that direction. If you were to then do a move forward the objects would move towards each other but not necessarily go center to center

If you did a point at and then move forward their centers will match up exactly.

For an easy visual put two planes in the sky at different altitudes. Run a turn to face and then have them move forwards

Then do the same thing with a point at. I think you will see the difference.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks. I believe you are correct from some experiments that I have done.

Back to the central question, do you know of any online resource that contains descriptions of all of the primitive methods?

Thanks,
Dick Baldwin